News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'53 Wiper speed with original Vacuum motor

Started by rustytractor, September 16, 2018, 09:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

The wipers on both of my '53 run slow - well, at least I think they do anyway.

I know that speed is a hard thing to describe but the wipers move fairly slowly across the screen and (as usual) slow right down or stop while accelerating, going up hill etc. The speed they travel at wouldn't be adequate in anything other than light rain.

I had the same problem on my '41 but replaced the vacuum hoses under the dash and now the speed is variable from a slow creep to almost a blur when the valve is fully open - should the '53 be the same ?

I've checked vacuum to the motor and that seems fine (admittedly, by feel and not with a gauge), do the motors seize up and are they nightmare to disassemble and overhaul?
Too many cars - too little time !!

Steve Passmore

They are not a nightmare to dismantle, but overhauling is a different thing. The die-cast body eventually gets worn away by the paddle. 70 years old grease go'es solid and scores up the body even more. Even New Old Stock will more than likely have scores through solid grease and people continually moving the paddle when the grease is solid.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jay Friedman

The 2 best solutions to any vacuum wiper problem are:

1. Replace all the hoses as RustyTractor mentions;

2. Re-build the wiper motor.  Don't bother trying to do it yourself, as they are tricky and parts are hard to find.  Send it to www.wiperman.com (Rob Ficken) in NY.  He has all the needed parts, does a great job and the cost is reasonable.  In fact, the rumor is he bought the remains of the Trico company when it went out of business.  He rebuilt my '49's wiper motor some years ago when it was working poorly and now it works like your '41's. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bob Schuman

Ditto to everything Jay said. Wiperman (Rob Ficken) rebuilt the motors on my 51 Cadillac and 48 Oldsmobile and the very slow action is now very fast if wanted.  After rebuild if your wipers still slow very much or stop when accelerating, the problem will be with the vacuum booster section of your fuel pump.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I actually have a video of the 55 after installing the rebuilt motor. Can't load it here. Tried to email you but no attachments. Pm me your email and I will send I to you.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

rustytractor

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on September 16, 2018, 01:51:15 PM
I actually have a video of the 55 after installing the rebuilt motor. Can't load it here. Tried to email you but no attachments. Pm me your email and I will send I to you.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff - sebd to rustytractor@hotmail.co.uk

Hotmail can be a bit limited with file sizes so if it won’t send let me know and I’ll give you a different email address 👍🏻
Too many cars - too little time !!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille