News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

CDV Ride and Comfort Differences 75-76 vs 77-79

Started by Joe V, September 16, 2018, 10:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Yes maybe the 75-76 ride better than the 77-79, or maybe the 77-79 Cadillacs handle better than the 75-76 and etc.  One year may be slightly better than another in one category or another.  However all I'm saying is that neither year group has a huge advantage over the other.  Like Eric wrote maybe the 77-79 is a little better than the 71-76 in some respects, but not "in spades".  Both year groups are awesome.  All writings are obviously the mostly the opinion of the author.  It is not like you are comparing the engine of a 1976 Cadillac and 4.1 powered 1982 Cadillac, which would be that the 1976 has it over the 1982 in spades on the engine. 

The longer bodies and no frame windows of the 75-76 make them a little cooler than the 77-79 Cadillacs, but the lighter weight obviously make the 77-79 better handlers - but neither by a great deal.  When driving a 1976 Cadillac in good repair (I'm an assertive drive - the one flashing my lights behind the slow driver in left lane) never do wish that it could go around corner faster - it is fine.

The 75-76 Fleetwoods had the longer wheel base and were larger in every respect than the 77-79, whereas the 77-79 did not offer an extended wheelbase version like the 65-76 Cadillac Fleetwoods.

Barry has a good point about rust under roof as is the case with just about any vinyl top equipped Cadillac, but maybe the 75-76 were more rust prone - check out before you buy.  I have a 1970 SDV with no rust whatsoever under the vinyl top, so it is possible to find them.

Enjoy this fun problem and keep us posted.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: V63 on September 17, 2018, 06:14:49 PM

As far as the extra bracing in the hood goes, is it just me, or does the leading edge of the hood like to dance a little bit at highway speeds?  Every Tri-7 I've been in, I've noticed this.

I noticed The aluminum hood versions would do that, I attributed it to the lighter lifting springs.

The only model in which the aluminum hood was used was the Fleetwood Brougham - and only 1979. Of these I only owned two- neither of which had hood shake.

These are the structural braces I was referring to. (Not referring to the hood reinforcement "skeleton" piece.)

This bracing is specific to the Tri7 DeVille/Brougham/Limousine only. Earlier & later RWD Cadillacs only had the tube pieces that run across the top of the engine, including the Buick & Olds C bodies from 77-79.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Interesting to note that it's not only the underhood bolts that were blue if they were metric, they were blue throughout the car.  I recently had my seats out to replace a relay on one and clean up under both of them, and the nuts holding the seats were metric and blue!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

V63

The aluminum hoods encompassed more than 1979? I believe there was a California connection to the aluminum hood, if memory serves. Possibly EFI as well. I had a 1978 fleetwood (carbi) from calif with an aluminum hood and it would ‘float’ at higher speeds. I parted out a 79 SDV with an aluminum hood and still have it. The hinges use smaller/ lighter springs.

I found this:

The 1978 Cadillac Service Manual Supplement states the following: Aluminum Hoods - An aluminum hood is installed on California Sedan DeVilles, all Sedan DeVilles equipped with Electronic Fuel Injection and all Federal Carburetor Broughams with Standard Emission System.

I guess the only remaining question is what hood did a 1979 FB with EFI get?  ???

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I just checked the current Directory and found that he has sold it. But for many years, Ted Raines in CA had a slick top Cape Ivory (yellow) 1976 Fleetwood. I can't recall what interior it had in it.

I did enjoy my 1976 Cape Ivory Fleetwood but it sat out and developed roof rot. In fact, when I traded it in on the 1986 Collins Six Door, I had forgotten to mention the rot and gave the guy a couple of hundred back because of it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

I know of a Firethorn Red 1976 which the owner (a car shop owner) bought new who used the car very rarely, and only when the weather was perfect. Car was always garaged and covered. By the mid '90s with only 12,000 miles, the base of the roof began to rust badly as well as silver dollar-sized rust spots forming along the body side moldings, otherwise the car was like new in every other way. Needless to say he was disgusted after 2 decades of giving the car the best care possible.

Another weak point of the '76 was the extreme weight of the doors (2 door models) which require great effort to close. Hold-open operation was not great either, forget it if the car was parked on an incline or tilted. Worn door pins and sagging doors was also common with 2 doors because the doors weigh so much.

Frameless glass made for rattly windows over time that could also be difficult to close at highway speeds.

Scot Minesinger

The frame-less glass is kind of worthless (from a coolness perspective) on a 75 or 76 coupe because there was no back window, whereas in a SDV (not Fleetwood) - the no B pillar look was evident.  As always with any classic car purchase, check for rust during the evaluation process. 

There are many original paint 76 Cadillacs without rust remaining (in comparison to many other years in the 1970's) because everyone knew it was the last big GM Cadillac and they tended to be treasured more.  Probably the cover (or some other anomalies, no vapor barrier on garage floor, or etc.) with Eric's friend did him in on the rust for the 76 Cadillac.  If all 1976 Cadillacs rusted like after only being driven 12k miles in 20 years in only nice weather and garage kept, there would be none left.

I have worked on more than half a dozen original paint no rust 1976 Cadillacs, some with over 80k miles.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

V63

The problem with frameless glass was everyone used the glass to close to door.

Earlier years had also had frameless glass whose regulators rarely develop the kind of play that 71-76 do. I think part of the problem is how hard a '76 door had to be slammed in order to get it to shut. Most earlier years close much more easily.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

FOLKS,
All the man asked is "whether there were any differences in the rid and handling of the two generations.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

V63

There are many threads encompassing ‘general discussion’ that often deviate from the original topic. There are some that appreciate the thoughts, comments and input that evolve, possibly even the original poster.

Wind noise certainly distracts from ones ride and ‘comfort’ level.

Dan LeBlanc

I know I learned a few things in this discussion about my 77 that if it didn't happen, I may not have known. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 17, 2018, 11:17:40 AM
In essence they're saying the front and rear seat legroom is the same for 1977 DeVille/Brougham models as the (longer wheelbase) 1976 Fleetwood Brougham while it is greater when compared to the standard wheelbase Calais/DeVille models of 1976.

That's because they measured rear leg room to the underside of the seats in 77 and later. And the front leg room in thre76 & earlier is Far more usable, with a wide flat surface, akin to the early 90s full size FWDs.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

I have no idea how true that is.