News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Eldorado Front Speaker

Started by DrewDrew, September 19, 2018, 03:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrewDrew

The front speaker and its transformer are missing from my car. I have the Cadillac part number for the transformer: 7274608.
Does anyone have or know where to acquire this transformer or the complete speaker/transformer for my car? See attached for schematic and a picture I found of the speaker.
Thank-you in advance.
Drew Paren

Twan-Sloot

contact these guys they will have what your looking for.

http://www.turnswitch.com

Speaking from experience, they offer great reproductions with better sound than original. They will offer an exact reproduction from the one in your photo including load coil

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Drew,
I may have an original that needs reconeing. Please contact me directly at bobscads@comcast.net
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

gkhashem

Quote from: Twan-Sloot on September 19, 2018, 05:01:54 PM
contact these guys they will have what your looking for.

http://www.turnswitch.com

Speaking from experience, they offer great reproductions with better sound than original.

I agree, I am an original guy, but the speaker is hidden and not seen. Plus turnswitch makes new speakers, which fit in exactly where the old one was. Plus it will sound better so why spend the same amount of money for an old unit. In this case go with the new one.

Plus get a replacement for the rear one too, since that most likely will need a new cone and will not sound good anyway.

Plus he will sell you a 8 ohm speaker since a 4 ohm one will ruin the radio.

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

DrewDrew

Gentlemen:
Thanks so much for your kind assistance and advice. My hobby since Jr. High has been vacuum tube radios. In 1972 while in college I had a 1960 Cadillac Limo that I loved. (Purchased at auction for $200.00) I repaired its radio, the cruise, and such. Ran great. The car loved gas. But back then gas was was only 20¢ to 30¢ per gallon.Unfortunately, it was stored in a barn that was destroyed by a tornado and the car was not insured.
I'll contact Turnswitch in the morning.
Bob: I will buy that speaker if it has the transformer.
Again thanks so much for your quick and helpful responses.
Drew Paren

DrewDrew

Sadly, TurnSwitch has plenty of speakers but not the transformer that I'm looking for.
Drew Paren

Twan-Sloot

Wow most of the time they have all the correct speakers for anything GM. But you might be able to recone the one from Bob.

Good luck!

DrewDrew

Twan-Sloot:
It's not the speaker that I can't find. 10" X 4" 8 ohm speakers are readily available from dozens of stores, including turnswitch.com. I spoke with Greg Thomson at turnswitch, and he does not have the transformer for sale, although he has one he uses for radios like mine. What I'm searching for is the center tap transformer that GM mounted on the speaker. If Bob can find the speaker with the transformer, I'll mount the transformer on a new high quality speaker and install it in the dash. If you look at the photo of the speaker that is in my original post, you'll see the transformer. Thanks for your post.
Drew Paren