News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

First time out this year

Started by Jon S, September 22, 2018, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

Weather has either been too hot or rainy so this morning was my first drive since last year. Not sure what the problem is:

Took the Cadillac out for a short ride this morning. Had to give it a lot of gas to back out of the garage and heard a little clunk in the left front wheel. Once I got on the road it's seem to not drag but the brakes even applying them hard did not stop the car quickly like it should even after repeated stops to clean rust off the drums. It could be from lack of use or something else. The hubcaps were cool and the same temperature all around and the car did not pull.

Thoughts?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

walt chomosh #23510

John,
  Reminds me of what happened to me this past week. I've been riding a 1951 Harley for the past 10 yrs or so and decided to roll out my 1958 model and start riding it. The problem is, it wouldn't roll....the rear brake was locked up. I had a heck of a time removing the drum and couldn't believe how rusted everything was! I'm the type that really keeps his brake fluid fresh but the wheel cylinder was horrible. The drum had a pile of rust so bad that it couldn't turn....I would suggest you freshen all four of your brakes for safety sake......walt...tulsa,ok

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Walt. 

Going forward, many of the problems I see with classic cars are caused by disuse.  Even when it is hot drive it if possible.  This summer hear on east coast was terrible, but managed to drive my Cadillacs at least once a week minimum.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jon S

Well I took it back out a second time. This time it backed out easily like always and the more I drive it the better the brakes felt. I had New linings and wheel cylinders installed last year. Suspect the linings were glazed and drums had surface rust. Will probably pull a wheel and do a visual check, but believe I am OK.

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSES.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT