News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing the dashboard from a 67 Deville

Started by DaddyDeVille, September 23, 2018, 07:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyDeVille

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any advise on removing the dashboard/instrument cluster from a 1967 Deville?  I have the dashpad off, but the instructions in the manual state to remove the connector (12 pin) and the speedo cable (wave washer), but outside of bloody knuckles, I cant seem to get either removed.

Any suggestions from those who have done this?

Thanks
Charles
1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/

Scot Minesinger

I have removed the speedo cable and connector pin from dash cluster on a 67 Cadillac and other years up thru 1972.  Unfortunately blood knuckles is the only way, unless you have done it before.  Take your time, this is why it is so difficult to restore an older car.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

What is the so-called 12 pin connector?

The wave / snap ring is a real PITA to get off.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

DaddyDeVille

1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/

67_Eldo

I have a 67 Eldorado and I don't think its dash fundamentals differ dramatically from yours. I've taken it apart twice in the last year and I'm about to do so again. Here are a couple of suggestions.

* I was able to remove the speedometer connection by finding a properly sized - not too short, not too long -- open-end wrench (11/16ths?) to fit down between the back of the speedo and the connector. Then I simply pried off the cable using my new-found tool.

* The electrical connector (the first time) took lots of wiggling and an occasional poke with a long screwdriver to get out. The second removal is much easier. :-) Also, I eventually removed the driver's-side air-conditioning duct. See below.

* In my case, I got so frustrated that I used a wire saw to cut out the air-conditioning duct work on the driver's side. I'm not worried (too much) about putting it back together because I've already printed out some 3D pieces and purchased some ducting hose that will let me reassemble the duct in whatever manner I choose. I'm not recommending the cut-it-out approach because that's an additional amount of work that most folks would probably rather avoid. But if you can get that a/c duct out from behind the instrument cluster, life becomes easier.

* Generally speaking, the manuals - the Cadillac shop manual and the Fisher body manual - aren't nearly as good on these more open-ended tasks than they are on the straight-ahead mechanical assemblies so don't take the manual as absolute gospel in these situations. One thing that helped me a little bit (and every little bit counts under the dash) is to loosen the big bolts that hold the whole dash assembly to the firewall. If I had done that first, I might have been able to avoid cutting the ac duct into pieces. Instead, I would have had enough room to remove the duct before attacking the back of the instrument cluster.

Good luck!

P. Manoogian

That stuff is a piece of cake compared to removing a stick clock knob without breaking the stem.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather