News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Cadillac Calais power windows all die occasionally

Started by richardbergquist, September 21, 2018, 11:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardbergquist

After driving for a while all windows stop working. If I wait 20 min or so they will start working again, same thing goes for the right hand flasher which after driving for a while will only stay on with a steady light when engaged. What could be causing this?

Julien Abrahams

I ould check the battery and if the generator is charging properly. From the top of my head the generator should charge at around 14 volts. But check the manual to be sure. Your regulator might need adjustment.
With regard to the bulb stayi g on: this is usually cause by a burned out lightbulb but could also be caused by bad grounds.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

richardbergquist

Quote from: Julien Abrahams on September 22, 2018, 03:45:45 AM
I ould check the battery and if the generator is charging properly. From the top of my head the generator should charge at around 14 volts. But check the manual to be sure. Your regulator might need adjustment.
With regard to the bulb stayi g on: this is usually cause by a burned out lightbulb but could also be caused by bad grounds.

How can I adjust the regulator?

bcroe

Do not adjust the regulator, that is not the problem.  Try turning on
your lights when the windows fail, if they work, your battery and alt
are working. 

The problem no doubt is bad wiring or switch/breaker failing.  Find
the wiring in the factory manual, then trace it out to the fault. 
Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

The switches are notorious for failing intermittently.  Cadillac Tim rebuilds them (google him in Iva, SC).  try a rebuilt switch and see if that is not the problem. 

Another major source of this problem is where the wires go from the body of the car into the door.  That rubber conduit often fails and the sharp metal edges cut the wire insulation.  Look at your rubber conduits with all the wires. 

Essentially this is similar to Bruce's advice, just telling you where I have suffered problems to save you time - hence the whole purpose of this forum.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

richardbergquist

Thanks a lot guys, I will check the wires. Do we think that electronic cleaner could help the switches any?