News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tracing a Cadillac converible I once owned 60 years ago

Started by djh, September 27, 2018, 09:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djh

I once owned a 1953 beautiful green Cadillac convertible.   I recently came across the old registration. 

The serial number is  536267252

Just by chance wondering it is still out there somewhere as I think there were less than 500 built.

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Dan LeBlanc

Judging by the serial number, it was a Series 62 convertible.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jdemerson

Bill, Eldorado colors in 1953 were:
Aztec Red, Azure Blue, Alpine White, Artisan Ochre, so not green.  I'm not aware of Special Order Colors on Eldorado in '53, but in those years anything is possible.

Mr. Howe, good luck on finding the information. Hope it's out there and giving pleasure to some lucky owner!

I'd love to find the earlier history (pre-1977) on my '52 sedan. VIN is 526248665.  I've talked with an early owner who acquired the car in 1977, and I have a pretty thorough record from 1977 to present. Nothing earlier and I've about given up.  I did write to the MASS DMV but, not surprisingly, got no reply.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I don't think the body style can be determined by the VIN in 1953 other than the car being of the 62 series which applies to both convertible models.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

djh

This '53 convertible was dark green with green upholstery and green soft top.  I purchased from a GM executive in Canada where I live. That was in 1960. It was 1st car when I turned 16.  I think I read some where there were a few car show models made in green.
Yes would be great if it is still out there somewhere.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

First of all, this is an almost impossible task. However, best of luck. And the old, old war stories about "there were a "few" show cars painted in green."  Why do people think that "their" car may have been a show car? Where do those tales come from? Given that it was very special to you, there is really nothing wrong with thinking that, but...

GM show cars were either whisked back to the factory and given/sold to employee/executives. Or if they were really special show cars and one of a kind, sent to the nearest wrecking yard so that no one could obtain it under any circumstances.

A "few" cars have survived by the operators of the yards scarfing the car away into hiding. Again, best of luck. (Keeps you from chasing women or quaffing root beers.)

To "see" if your car was the regular Series 62 or an Eldorado, can you remember if it had a top boot? (Eldos had a hinged metal extension of the body to hide the top.) Were the vent windows on the front doors all glass or framed like most cars? And did it have the "dip" in the doors or was the line of the door top "straight?"

Congratulations on having a Cadillac convertible for your first car. If I'd had my way, that would have happened to me as I lusted after 1946-1947 convertibles. I had to settle for a 1941 Cadillac fastback coupe.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Quentin Hall

I got all excited because I have a gloss green 53 conv. .... but then I read that yours was dark green.
That said my divorce property settlement hearing is this Monday. I may not have anything after that.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz