News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Parts on order!

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, October 02, 2018, 12:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Restoration Phase 1 begins...

The new black vinyl roof (dual seam tuxedo) came from Newstalgia, $245, 'correct roof' was $600. Losing points, making money...
The headliner is coming from Acme Headlining, #6706 line dot vinyl, how many points will I lose judges? LOL!
I like that color better than the cloth one chosen by Gary, and Paul said 'since you SMOKE, it will be easier to keep clean'. $265. 'Correct cloth' headliner was $360.
Vinyl Specialties (autosunvisors.com) are doing the visors in the headliner material and grab vinyl, AND adding a mirror to the drivers side. $117, more points off? LMAO! Other estimates were $170-$195
Labor to install the headliner, roof, script I haven't found yet (and fix a button on the upholstery) is $1500.
No idea what the cost will be for HVA to remove the roof and repair any metal damage.

If any of you come to my house for dinner in the foreseeable future, the menu is PB&Js, store brand.

And I can't wait.

At least I changed the headlights back to incandescent, drove The Ark for an hour Sunday with the high beams on, and the headlight switch stayed ice cold, yay! Still the old switch, new one in stock. I'll still change it out, old switch feels crunchy when turning, prolly effecting the brightness of the dash lights too as it doesn't brighten/darken smoothly.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

Laurie,

Awesome progress.  Once you get the car dialed in, annual expenses are much lower.  This spring had to replace (labor by me) a radiator in my red 1970 DVC, guess the replacements only last ten years.  Other than oil changes that is it for the season.

That removing the old vinyl roof and repairing metal damage unknown cost item is probably the biggest expense for sure if there any bubbles on the existing top.  Best of luck to you there.  Enjoy the pb&j's, it is worth it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on October 02, 2018, 08:15:04 AM
Laurie,

Awesome progress.  Once you get the car dialed in, annual expenses are much lower.  This spring had to replace (labor by me) a radiator in my red 1970 DVC, guess the replacements only last ten years.  Other than oil changes that is it for the season.

That removing the old vinyl roof and repairing metal damage unknown cost item is probably the biggest expense for sure if there any bubbles on the existing top.  Best of luck to you there.  Enjoy the pb&j's, it is worth it.

Hi Scot,
The Ark got a radiator this year too, Autozone, $100. The AC isn't connected so I can get by on a smaller radiator. The current roof I'm afraid will have holes in the outside corners of the rear window. I've told them I'm not Jay Leno or any of their richy rich customers, they know, "we won't hurt you too bad", etc. Yikes... fingers crossed.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

A cautionary note though on fixing the rear window and top rust that you are going to find.  It can be fixed "quick and easy" with bondo and a new top (what a flipper might do) but it won't last long.  You want to keep the car and it needs to be done right.  The rust has to be removed and the remaining metal well protected before repairs can be finished.  You gave them the message that money is a real problem, OK but --- just make sure that improper shortcuts aren't taken to save money --- you will regret it in the (not too) long run.  Let 'em do what they gotta do.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.
:) 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on October 02, 2018, 10:43:04 AM
A cautionary note though on fixing the rear window and top rust that you are going to find.  It can be fixed "quick and easy" with bondo and a new top (what a flipper might do) but it won't last long.  You want to keep the car and it needs to be done right.  The rust has to be removed and the remaining metal well protected before repairs can be finished.  You gave them the message that money is a real problem, OK but --- just make sure that improper shortcuts aren't taken to save money --- you will regret it in the (not too) long run.  Let 'em do what they gotta do.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.
:)

MANY echo that sentiment, do it "right". I agree... just please remember I'm not a millionaire. How well I eat next week depends on how much I make this week.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I second Mr. Newcombe's caution about "doing it
right the first time".  For you own sake, don't let
them do a "bondo job" that will last you maybe
2-3 years.

The rusted metal needs to be cut out, new metal welded
properly in place then you will be done.  Otherwise, all
of your expense for the new vinyl top, headliner and labor
will be wasted.

Whatever you have to do, eat PBJ sandwiches for a few
weeks untill it's done you'll thank us and the "ARK" will
look a new Caddy!

Best of luck in your project,

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Laurie, I am by no way someone who looks down on people who try to enjoy the hobby on a budget. I am one of these persons, despite your prejudices that everybody is rich here. My car has many shortcomings and I am ready to admire other cars even if they are well below concours level.

You can do to your car whatever you want, of cause. But I do not understand why you brag about incorrect items and repeatedly tell those concerned with correctness and originality that you "laughing your a** out" about them. Preservation of the car's original condition and judging it is the very purpose of the club. Therefore I consider "LOL" and "LMAO" at voluntary judges a bit offensive. 

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 6262 on October 03, 2018, 04:52:51 AM
Laurie, I am by no way someone who looks down on people who try to enjoy the hobby on a budget. I am one of these persons, despite your prejudices that everybody is rich here. My car has many shortcomings and I am ready to admire other cars even if they are well below concours level.

You can do to your car whatever you want, of cause. But I do not understand why you brag about incorrect items and repeatedly tell those concerned with correctness and originality that you "laughing your a** out" about them. Preservation of the car's original condition and judging it is the very purpose of the club. Therefore I consider "LOL" and "LMAO" at voluntary judges a bit offensive.

Don't be a snowflake Nils, I'm laughing at MYSELF.
I have never, EVER, condemned anyone for wanting to restore their cars to the exact nut, bolt and clamp.
Because you said so doesn't make it true, sorry buddy.

Nothing but respect for those who restore to factory specs.
Nothing but respect for those who restore with bagging and chopping.
Nothing but LOVE for the Cadillac and to see them all rolling, no - matter - what.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Roof script update: at 0300 yesterday morning I found what I though was the correct wreath/emblems for the roof, NOS. Emailed the eBay ad to Mike Josephic who responded immediately BUY THEM BUY THEM BUY THEM!! Jumped back on FleaBay, "BUY IT NOW", they're on the way! $92 for the pair shipped, HA! NO ONE has those parts in stock, no one. Reached out today to Gary Lucianna for the 'Brougham' script, in black. He's packing his Caddy stuff now for Hershey, I emailed him pics of what I have now with a ruler under/beside them. He knows he has some good ones and will put them aside for me. Nice.

And heard from Hyannis Vintage today, The Ark is to report next week. Happy and sad....  :)  :(
Its going to be a long time before I drive The Ark again, its going to be a long time before I eat steak again too but I digress.

At least all the parts are inbound and are products I'm comfortable with and at good prices. Let's get this over with.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Wishing you all good luck when the "ARK" goes into
Hyannis for rehab.  He'll pull through just fine!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on October 04, 2018, 01:48:36 AM
Wishing you all good luck when the "ARK" goes into
Hyannis for rehab.  He'll pull through just fine!

Mike

Oh Mike The Ark will be fine! The question is will *I* survive! LOL!
At least having the car gone for a week a month ago was good 'separation anxiety' training.
Thanks for all your support Mike, MUCH appreciated.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

savemy67

Hello Laurie,

Every now and then on this forum we read about someone's nightmare with a machine shop or restoration shop.  I understand that you speak well of Hyannis Vintage Auto (HVA), but I encourage you to be as precise as possible about expectations, time-frames, and costs, and put these things in writing for HVA if you have not done so already.

Building a good relationship with a shop requires trust which is built upon both parties effectively communicating expectations, and then realizing them.  Good luck with your upcoming project.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: savemy67 on October 12, 2018, 09:03:27 PM
Hello Laurie,

Every now and then on this forum we read about someone's nightmare with a machine shop or restoration shop.  I understand that you speak well of Hyannis Vintage Auto (HVA), but I encourage you to be as precise as possible about expectations, time-frames, and costs, and put these things in writing for HVA if you have not done so already.

Building a good relationship with a shop requires trust which is built upon both parties effectively communicating expectations, and then realizing them.  Good luck with your upcoming project.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter

Hi Christopher!
I know exactly the cost of the roof, headliner and labor to install both. Just under 2K.
The wildcard is the body work when the old roof comes off, no way to tell how bad it is under there.
Relying on Gary Amster, nearly 50 years in the biz doing this, looking over the roof as it is carefully, poking
here and there, and saying "this won't hurt you too bad".

I'm a contractor. You hire me to replace a front door, I give you a price for labor and materials. In the estimate I spell it out clearly, I have no way to know what damage, if any, will be seen when the old door comes out and how that will effect how I'll need to install the new door. Sign here.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on October 02, 2018, 12:34:31 AM
Restoration Phase 1 begins...

The new black vinyl roof (dual seam tuxedo) came from Newstalgia, $245, 'correct roof' was $600. Losing points, making money...
The headliner is coming from Acme Headlining, #6706 line dot vinyl, how many points will I lose judges? LOL!
I like that color better than the cloth one chosen by Gary, and Paul said 'since you SMOKE, it will be easier to keep clean'. $265. 'Correct cloth' headliner was $360.
Vinyl Specialties (autosunvisors.com) are doing the visors in the headliner material and grab vinyl, AND adding a mirror to the drivers side. $117, more points off? LMAO! Other estimates were $170-$195
Labor to install the headliner, roof, script I haven't found yet (and fix a button on the upholstery) is $1500.
No idea what the cost will be for HVA to remove the roof and repair any metal damage.

If any of you come to my house for dinner in the foreseeable future, the menu is PB&Js, store brand.

And I can't wait.

At least I changed the headlights back to incandescent, drove The Ark for an hour Sunday with the high beams on, and the headlight switch stayed ice cold, yay! Still the old switch, new one in stock. I'll still change it out, old switch feels crunchy when turning, prolly effecting the brightness of the dash lights too as it doesn't brighten/darken smoothly.

\m/
Laurie

Do it the way You want it done, to hell with any judging  nonsense.  :P

If we ever do meet at a show, etc, the Delmonico steaks are on me navy.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on October 13, 2018, 03:21:57 PM
Do it the way You want it done, to hell with any judging  nonsense.  :P

If we ever do meet at a show, etc, the Delmonico steaks are on me navy.

Please grill mine medium with a shake of Montreal Steak Seasoning Army.
Mike, I'm doing it the way I can AFFORD to do it. I'd rather have the cross grain roof and cotton headliner, I can spend that $600 somewhere else on the car. It will look stellar when done compared to how it looks now.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

And the headliner arrived today from Acme. Turquoise line dot vinyl, not opening the box, let Paul open it when its time to install. Roof is due today. Then both will go to Paul to take up space in HIS facility. The shoulder seat belt covers are painted as are the coat hangars, they look gorgeous! LOVE the color. Thinking seriously about using that paint to refresh the hard trim around the front seat that has turned from turquoise to yellow. Think I mentioned I found NOS script with wreath and emblem, $92 shipped? Thank you. But they were painted for a beige roof, no longer. After a failed attempt with black nail polish I used black semi-gloss hobby paint, a tiny brush, then a lot of light, a magnifying glass and an exacto knife to scrape off any blobs. Now to find some fresh "Brougham" script. Pics below of the current script, the new script, and the new script painted. I want this to be over now. And a delay with HVA, The Ark is still here (and I took it to work today, time for that show pony to start earning his keep!) Just a gorgeous day, HAD to drive it. The delay with HVA is personnel, they lost a welder and are backed up with cars going to Mecum Kissimmeee. I was going to call Paul about a possible delay getting to him now, Michael told me not to fret, The Ark will get done in time. Whatever.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Nice.

Have you followed the sox at all? up 3 games to 1 but at the cost of my blood pressure.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on October 18, 2018, 04:07:18 AM
Nice.

Have you followed the sox at all? up 3 games to 1 but at the cost of my blood pressure.

Bogus call on fan interference, it was out of the field of play.  Go Astros!

Thing is, when the Astros win the series and win the next round, they'll all buy new Cadillacs with their winnings!

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I don't follow the Red Sox, at all, too smart. Baseball is a 162 game season, FOOTBALL is a 16 game season, much easier on my heat. GO PATRIOTS!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

mario

Laurie:
Open the box and check the contents. Don't want to find out you have a pink line dot vinyl liner, when it could be returned before you need to install it.
Ciao,
Mario caimotto