News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle 5019 Distributor Questions

Started by 39LaSalleDriver, October 02, 2018, 12:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39LaSalleDriver

Over the past couple of weeks in my area we have had a LOT of rain. I started noticing that my LaSalle is a bit harder to start and when I fire it up it is missing somewhat until it runs for a while and then smooths out.

Up to this point, I've not had any issues with the ignition system so I had yet to take a detailed look at my distributor. While I haven't pulled my distributor cap off yet to look and see, I suspect that humidity has somewhat affected me, and/or perhaps the points/condenser are acting up or starting to fail.

With these thoughts in mind and feeling it prudent to have spares in hand, I have purchased a new distributor cap, condenser, and NOS Delco points as recommended in the Self Starter back issues. I intend to drop all these new parts in as I don't know the age, quality, or condition of what I have in there.

One thing I am very interested in is the replacement of the distributor plate. I know that John Washburn has written somewhat on the benefits of changing this, but there are a couple of things I am unclear on. As far as I can tell, the Dyna-Flyte 880C, or C-D plate is what I am needing. Everything I am finding is an 880C-D, which seems to be for a dual point setup. Is there such a thing as an 880C, and is it for a single point setup? I don't think I particularly need nor want to fool with a dual point system. I believe I am also seeing vague references to using only a single point in these for those wanting to run single rather than double. Is this correct? Can I run a dual point plate with only one set of points and get the benefits of the ball bearing plates?
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

tripwire

Jon,
If you think this is a moisture related issue you might look at your spark plug wires.  They are affected by moisture as well.

Wes in VT.
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

39LaSalleDriver

Thanks Wes, I'll give them a once over as well, but I can't imagine they are likely the problem. They are brand new wires I installed a couple of months ago.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

tripwire

What you can do is spray the wires and distributor with a mist of water to see if that causes a skip or any kind of reaction.  Use one of those pump bottles that look like this one so you don't get too much water on things.

Wes in VT

Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

39LaSalleDriver

I am very strongly suspecting that the condenser is the likely problem but will have to wait until my new ones arrive to see if that helps any. If not, I'll keep testing and/or replacing each link in the chain until I run it down.

Meanwhile, what I really need to clarify is this business with the distributor plate. I'm thinking while I have things all apart I might as well give the distributor a going over and replace the internals as necessary to make sure it is in tip top condition. If I'm barking up the wrong tree with these Dyna-Flyte plates, I'll just clean up what I have and proceed as normal. However, if there is such a thing as the Dyna-Flyte with a single point setup, or if the dual point setup can be used with only one set of points in it, I will be more than happy to purchase one to drop in. If my only option is to go to a dual points system, I'll probably pass on the idea and stick with what I have. No idea if or when anyone has gone through it at any time since it left the factory so I guess there's no time like the present.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Tom Beaver

There is a Dyna-Flyte 880C distributor plate and it uses a single set of points.  It would be a direct replacement for the rotatable distributor plate in a 1940 or later distributor.  The 37 - 39 distributors were not fitted with a vacuum advance mechanism and hence don't need a rotatable plate.  That is, a Dyna-Flyte plate wont do you any good.  That being said I purchased a 1940 distributor for my 38 LaSalle, installed a Dyna-Flyte 880C and connected the vacuum advance to the vacuum port on a Carter 460S, which is listed as a replacement carburetor for 1938 and 1939.  The engine runs very well with this setup.

Tom Beaver

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: Tom Beaver on October 03, 2018, 01:55:36 AM
There is a Dyna-Flyte 880C distributor plate and it uses a single set of points.  It would be a direct replacement for the rotatable distributor plate in a 1940 or later distributor.  The 37 - 39 distributors were not fitted with a vacuum advance mechanism and hence don't need a rotatable plate.  That is, a Dyna-Flyte plate wont do you any good.  That being said I purchased a 1940 distributor for my 38 LaSalle, installed a Dyna-Flyte 880C and connected the vacuum advance to the vacuum port on a Carter 460S, which is listed as a replacement carburetor for 1938 and 1939.  The engine runs very well with this setup.

Tom Beaver

Thanks Tom, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I had noticed that all of these references in SS articles mentioned from 1940 on, and knew I didn't have any vacuum advance, but the ones I see for sale typically list on the vintage box or instruction sheet that they were for usage in "LaSalle all models from 1937 to 1940" or very similar verbage. I guess that was for those who wanted to go to the dual point setup. Personally, I don't see nor have read of any advantage to making that changeover, so I'll just run with what I have and clean it up if necessary. Thanks again,
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jon,

Drop me a pm with your email address and I can explain what to do and what options you have as to vendors, not just Dyna-Flyte. I have new ones for sale.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

39LaSalleDriver

Jon Isaacson