News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to check Fuel Delivery issues on 67 Cadillac

Started by richardbergquist, October 02, 2018, 04:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardbergquist

I suspect that I perhaps may have a problem with the fuel delivery. Where would I start in the process of checking if it's ok?

The car has started to have a rough idle and it's not getting the power I think it should. Also it's started to be unhappy going above 50 mph (engine vibration). I have taken the pipe leading to the fuel filter off and cranked the engine. After 10 seconds of cranking I got continous spurts of fuel, about 5-6 ounces worth. I can not see leaks from the fuel pump. The fuel filter is replaced. Any suggestions?

I have ordered a Repair Manual by the way and it was apparently delivered to my porch on Saturday but was not there so probably stolen. Post Office is investigating.

fishnjim

Install a fuel pressure gauge and check to make sure pressure inspec.
From here, I suspect you've just a tune-up issue, but with anything this old, could be more serious.   
What's tail pipe look like - clean or sooty black?   
These '60s cars are different than what we're used to today, plus they're now ~50 years old.
Plan accordingly.
It helps troubleshooting to have a vacuum, fuel pressure, tach, and voltage gauge on anything this vintage.

richardbergquist

I have almost no tools at all. The tools I have is back home in Sweden. Now it’s not running on all cylinders. I might have to take it to a shop. Have not had the best experiences with mechanics back home, maybe it’s different here. In Sweden most of the time they couldn’t find any problem that I may have had.