News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Aluminum grill cleaning recommendations?

Started by Paul, October 04, 2018, 05:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Can anyone recommend a way to clean an aluminum grill for a 1959 Cadillac? What is the best method to get oxidized aluminum bright again? Any help would be great!
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

David Greenburg

Do a search on here and you will find a broad range of opinions, ranging from 0000 steel wool to various polishes, frequently Auto-Sol (my personal choice) or Meguiars metal polish. Be aware that this is anodized aluminum, and if the anodizing is gone, the only way to bring it back for the long run is to have it reanodized (metal finishers can do this for far less than the crazy prices you see on eBay). 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cape Cod Fleetwood

FWIW, my grill before and after, after is on the right side.
Tried so many different polishes... sprayed some WD40 on it by accident, wiped it off, and, eh, well, it looked great!

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Skwerly62

Has anyone tried soda or walnut shell blasting? Maybe corn cob would be ok and not damage the surface. Obviously better to do off the car than on.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Paul

I got some quotes to disassemble and anodize but at about $2500. I was thinking about disassembling, sanding up to a mirror like finish and then sealing with a clear coat. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

Jon S

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on October 06, 2018, 02:09:24 AM
FWIW, my grill before and after, after is on the right side.
Tried so many different polishes... sprayed some WD40 on it by accident, wiped it off, and, eh, well, it looked great!

\m/
Laurie

Looks great!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David Greenburg

Paul:

You can certainly do it yourself if you’re careful and patient.  You will definitely want to get the special tool for reinstalling all the little clips.  But that price sounds kind of high.  Check with King of Trim (southern Cal) and see if their price is worth it to you.  They did a great job on my ‘60. And unlike some other places, they do the disassembly/reassembly.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Jon S on October 08, 2018, 04:48:47 PM
Looks great!

Graci!
Everyone has a can of $5 WD40 lying around, worth a shot.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Mackguare

Agree with you Laurie, WD40 is an easy way out. And then use any soft wash brush to make the grill clean.

charlie mckenna

Has anyone tried MaryKates marine hull cleaner?

Skwerly62

Quote from: charlie mckenna on October 11, 2018, 09:55:44 PM
Has anyone tried MaryKates marine hull cleaner?
As in a previous post it was recommended.  BUT, it is made for fiberglass and epoxy hulls and specifically states NOT for use on metal. That being said it does work very well when used with caution. If left on for any length of time the finish gets eaten right off. Try it on an old piece of trim or if the grille is off the bumper, test it on the bottom horizontal that mates with the bumper surface.
WD40 and GooGone with a bristle brush followed by Flitz or Simichrome work well but are timely and elbow-grease intensive.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!