News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930's transmission oil???

Started by kkarrer, October 08, 2018, 09:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
     The pre- 4WWII shop manuals can be pretty specific on some stuff and downright useless on others.  In this case I'm looking for information regarding the type of fluid that should be used in my 1932 V8 (355B) standard transmission.  The manual only mentions SAE oil with no mention of weight.  Can someone out there tell me what most of you guys use in your 30's V8 trannys?
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
Cen Tex Reg. Dir.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

According to a 1938 guide I have (Audel's)
it recommends:

For summer use (above 40 degrees F) : SAE 160
For winter use (Above 0 degrees F):  SAE 90 

This information was to specific to Cadillac.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

harry s

Ken, I'm going strictly from memory (which seems to fade now & then) but seem to recall the trans oil weight is 200 and must not have additives that harm brass. These folks sell various weights:
https://www.restorationstuff.com/news.html
They are usually at Hershey.       Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

kkarrer

Thanks guys!
I'll see what I can find.
Take care,
Ken

DaveZ

Hi Ken,
Harry is correct. The Trans oil in the 32 type transmission which they used for a few years used a thicker oil. Somewhere around 200. If it is too thin or too thick it doesn't shift right. I bought Lubriplate 140 and 250 and mixed it. Before you put the top on make sure you adjust the syncro plates on each side of the transmission to the proper spacing and that both side are equal or you will have problems. The manual has a pretty good detail on how to do that.
Best of times!
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B