News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Difference Between 1949-53 Cadillac Engines

Started by carlhungness, October 10, 2018, 04:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

In researching the 1949-53 Cadillac engines I have initially found the '49 put out 160 HP with 7.5-1 compression while it seems the '52 was upped to 190 HP with a four barrel carb and larger exhaust valves and the '53 is said to have 210 HP with 8.25 compression.
   I am guessing the cylinder heads are at least slightly different in these cars and wondering if the blocks were all the same, or modified a bit for the later years.
   I have found a 1949 engine, but while I'm looking I'd just as soon get the best of the breed so looking for some knowledge and suggestions.
   I am going to install one of them in my 1937 LaSalle Coupe as I've had more experience than I need with the great old flathead(s) that I drove 110,000 miles in the car.
   Thus, which year if any is recommended over another. I also understand cylinder head cracking was a continuing problem. Overall, I am asking if I should buy the '49 and will it accept the later modifications or do I have to look for the later ones.
Thanks,
Carl Hungness

Joe V

I've run a 49 block with 52 heads with no problems.  The only issue is that the exhaust port size on the 52 heads is larger than the port size of the 49 exhaust manifolds.  I believe starting in 51 (or 52?), dual exhaust was standard which cannot be easily routed in a 49 frame, not sure about the LaSalle.  For that reason 52 exhaust manifolds could not be used so I had to have a reducer milled to link the 52 heads to the 49 single exhaust manifolds.  If you mix and match block and heads you may have to deal with the same. 

If you can easily run dual exhaust, mix and matching are fine.  Otherwise, I suggest using matching year blocks and heads and preferably go with 52 or later if dual exhaust routing is easy given frame layout of the LaSalle and you want the added horsepower.  If you go with the 49, 4 barrel intakes are widely available for a bit more horsepower, and lower mileage ;).  Decisions, decisions.

V63

I have a 1953 long block ‘core’, but it does turn...That’s all I know about it.

I bought it to use in a 42 That was missing its flathead, but still had manual transmission.

$600 in Phoenix,  AZ