News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel line cleaning

Started by Paul, October 10, 2018, 12:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Would I damage anything if I unhooked the fuel line from the pump in the engine bay and used a compressor to blow air back through to the tank to make sure the fuel line is clean? It’s a little hard to get under the car, a 59 Deville, but I want to make sure the line is not blocked at any point. Is this a bad idea? Perhaps I MUST disconnect from the tank first?
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

35-709

Been done plenty of times, but blow gently with the air gun, don't give it a full pressure blast.  Loosen the gas cap.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Fred Pennington 25635

As long as there is not a filter or sock on the pick up tube should not be a problem.
As posted above Reduce your air pressure and don't let pressure build in the tank.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

TJ Hopland

If it was me and it was reasonable to access I would disconnect the line at the tank so if there was crap in the line I would not blow it into the tank.  After I cleared the line I would then consider reconnecting it and blowing into the tank taking into consideration what was said earlier about a sock filter. 

I would place a white rag to catch what came out of the line so I could see what it was and not spray it all over the place.   Clean gas no problem.   Rust chunks or stuff that didn't look or smell like gas...... problem.    I guess the real reason I would disconnect it is to see what is there.   If you just blasted back to the tank you would have no idea if you maybe had an issue or not.   IF you had crap in the line it likely came from the tank so its not like you are preventing crap from getting in the tank but at least you would know about it.    Its also a good time to replace that section of hose, assuming a 59 even has hose.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

;D  Better answer than mine.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

savemy67

Hello Paul,

All good advice in the previous responses.

If you leave the line connected to the tank, you may want to use about 5 psi at the blowgun (blowgun should have a rubber tip for a good seal at the line).  If you disconnect the line from the tank, you may want to use 20 - 30 psi at the blowgun.  Check the condition of any rubber to steel connections/clamps after applying air pressure.

Take into account any pressure drop based on the length of the air hose between the regulator and the blowgun.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

fishnjim

Not recommended.
It just blows any crap into the tank, and will return later.   That needs to come out not recycle.
I was stopped one time in my motor home, and the wrecker guy did this, and got it started, only to get a few miles down the road and stopped again.   
Take it to a shop with a lift, if you can't get under, don't have jacks.
From experience, I'd clean/inspect the whole fuel system from the gas cap to the carb (every ten years).   Never know what's lurking plus new gas v old deposits/corrosion.   eg; PO put a new tank on the '58 but didn't clean the fill pipe and it was full of grit.   Plus made some safety suspect line repairs.  So put some eyes on it.