News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sergeant Stripes on Rear of 1937 LaSalle?

Started by carlhungness, October 12, 2018, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I just received not only some front fender Sergeant stripes for a '37 LaSalle but also some larger ones that are said to go on the rear of the car, trunk area. I have never seen stripes on the rear of the car, and my '37 Coupe didn't have them when I acquired it, so I need some more knowledge. Can anyone supply a photo of where the larger stripes were installed?
Thanks,
Carl Hungness

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Many coupes of the Harley Earl era did not have trunk "emblems" on them. So if there are no "holes" in your trunk in the middle of it, they probably weren't there at all. (1941 Series 61 "fast-back" coupes had trunk emblems, and the Series 62 notch back coupes and convertible coupes did not.) Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

carlhungness

In  all the years I have been looking at the '37 LaSalle I never have seen the Sergeant stripes anywhere past the front fenders, so glad you have chimed in Barry. I have seen the emblems on the 1941 Series Fastback (one of my favorites). Didn't I see the very basic design of the '37 LaSalle on one of Billy Mitchell's drawings when he was in art school?
     Nevertheless a fellow member sent me some Sergeant stripes that definitely go on the front fenders, but he also sent along three larger stripes I've never seen previously and he noted they were for the trunk no less. Thus, I sure wonder where the larger stripes came from?
     While we're at it, the stripes are made from Oh-Too Thin stainless that measures .015 at best. The stamped items are .125 in depth. I erroneously believed they were made of a solid chunk, but obviously a die was made and the corners all have a slight dimple where the die has scrunched them together proving it is very difficult to shrink metal as it is being bent ninety degrees.
    I for one do not like the idea of trying to silver solder a stud back into one that has been broken. I could see myself blowing a hole just about the time I want to dip the solder. The ones I received obviously had been repaired, by soft solder, and they came loose.
   If I make some they'll be solid eighth inch and although Bruce Berghoff has silver soldered the ones he makes (and done a fine job I'm sure), I'll opt for hitting the piece with a fly-cutter and dotting a flat bottom hole to hold the stud, and using epoxy to hold it. After all, we're only going to tighten the 8-32 screw to a couple of inch pounds and the epoxy will hold to several hundred times that much.

DaveZ

37 5029 had them, or at least mine does and I know of another upstate that has them.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Dave, your's is a four door convertible sedan, right? It was notch back coupes that Harley Earl did not put "trunk ornaments" on. He wanted that wide (and deep) expanse of metal to be "the way he designed it."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

carlhungness

DaveZ

Barry you are correct. And I did a typo, mine is a 5019. I hate typing:-)
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B