News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 caddy transmission rebuild kit

Started by Caddyrag67, October 13, 2018, 04:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyrag67

Was curios who you guys think makes the best quality rebuild kit and parts for the 58 caddy transmission? I have all the specialty tools and going to tackle the full rebuild task myself.  i will be replacing everything inside as long as i dont need to replace any hard parts.  So just want to know what you guys suggest as far as quality parts.
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1952 Series 62  Convertible
1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille
1967 Coupe Deville Convertible

dplotkin

http://www.nwtparts.com/

https://www.fatsco.net/

Either one has what you want. Successful auto transmission rebuilding is all on the craftsman and careful reassembly, not on part or kit quality variability. Get the kit from whomever is closer (or less expensive) above.

has your unit failed or are you re-sealing?

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Caddyrag67

ive rebuilt alot of 70s and up transmissions in the past just not one of these.  im just running through it and redoing it
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1952 Series 62  Convertible
1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille
1967 Coupe Deville Convertible

Roger Zimmermann

Since years, I'm buying my transmissions part here: autotran5@aol.com Dave is almost all the time available and he is selling also individual parts. Plus, contrary to other sellers, he has the right metallic seal going to the oil pump cover.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Unless it was low miles, well and regularly maintained, and working flawlessly, probably want to disassemble, then see what other parts need replaced.   If you just buy a kit not likely to have what you need.   I had over $2100 in parts alone, some "hard", but I had a clip failure.   I still don't know if it'll work, but hope to soon.   They also recommend you have the lines/cooler cleaned with the recirculating filter type machine.   No sense rebuilding then putting crud back through it and blocking the valve passages you just cleaned.