News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1977 Eldorado Air Cleaner Plastic Elbow to exhaust manifold

Started by C.CHAMBERS777, October 14, 2018, 03:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.CHAMBERS777

Hi there,

I am looking for a plastic elbow adapter that connects from the bottom of the air filter and hose that leads to exhaust manifold, the one I have is completely shot with the heat melting it over the years (pic below)

Does anyone know or recommend where I can find one of these from, I can tell there doesn’t seem to be many around.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers

Chris Chambers
Scotland

79 Eldorado

Hi Chris,
You described the part as going from the air filter (air cleaner) to the exhaust manifold. That makes it sound like a part in a heat riser system which routes/pulls hot air rising from the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner. I'm not very familiar with the 1977 model but what you are showing looks more like part of the breather apparatus which normally goes from the top of the valve cover (or rocker cover) to the air cleaner assembly through a small filter in the air cleaner which is there in addition to the air filter.

If it is part of the breather assembly the diameter will be something like 3/4"-1" and if it is the heat riser it will be larger diameter. If it is indeed part of the breather it might be a common part. The Oldsmobile motors had a piece which looks similar. Yours is broken to the point it's difficult to say. Anyway if a part for an Oldsmobile motor could be used I recently found that one of the best sources was looking for parts for the late 70's early 80's Pontiac Firebird/Trans-Am because the cars with automatic transmissions used the Oldsmobile 403 instead of the Pontiac 400 which I was told was due to the short supply of the Pontiac motor. If it's not the same part you may be able to adapt those parts to work. The Oldsmobile set-up had an elbow at the air cleaner similar to the one you pictured, followed by a metal tube with a single bend, followed by a rubber adapter which went into the top of the valve cover. I recently discovered that there are at least 2 different lengths of metal tubes as well. My rubber grommet at my air cleaner kept ripping and I discovered I had the longer metal pipe and should have had the shorter version. I have a photo showing both tubes side-by-side. There may even be others which are similar but these are the 2 I discovered.

If it is the breather system I can take a picture of the Oldsmobile part so you can at least see how they compare and knowing what system it is may help others answer your question here.

Good luck,
Scott

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chris
Is this what you are lookin for?
If so pm me
Cheers
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-