News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Red special ordered 1971 Limousine

Started by D.Smith, October 20, 2018, 09:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

This unusual car has come up for sale again.   The first time was in 2013 when it was in Vacaville, California.   Now it is in Germany.

I grabbed photos of it both times.    However in the second newer photoset I did photoshop OFF the added stand up hood ornament.  Otherwise it is as built.

Here is the back story on it.  "Sold new to The Ralph M. Parsons Company, An International Engineering Firm that built Howard Hughe's Glomar Explorer. Second owner was Mr. Peter F. Schabarum, who for several years in the early ‘50s played football for San Francisco 49ers, served in the U.S. Air Force in the Korean War and later was appointed Los Angeles County Supervisor."

Click here for a link to the photos I saved.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/albums/72157699379992062

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Interesting car.

The red rear footrests look a bit odd in the rear compartment which is otherwise beige. Beige is a regular color offering for the rear compartment of Series 75, therefore the SO interior trim is limited to the red driver's compartment and the footrests.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jdemerson

Thanks Dave and Eric. Fascinating stuff and lots of good photos!

In going through all the photos I noticed at least a couple that appear to show the red carpet extending to the rear. But most show the beige, consistent with Eric's comments.  My guess is that in the original SO car, Eric's description is right. Dave, were the photos with the red rear carpet some of the more recent ones?

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

John... I'm pretty sure that's just a red floor mat in the rear compartment.

D.Smith

The outdoor photos are the older photos from 2013.

The extra plush red carpeting on the footrests almost looks like it was done afterwards.

Also interesting they spent all that money on the SO front compartment color request and Landau top option yet didn't order cruise control, Guidematic or Twilight Sentinel.  No opera lamps either.  :(

Quote from: D.Smith on October 20, 2018, 11:13:34 AM
The extra plush red carpeting on the footrests almost looks like it was done afterwards.

I agree with that. Looks like an afterthought. Would rather they were left beige.

V63

I have driven that car in the Late 70’s. It was From Costa Mesa, ca. I remember using the phone too. Special license plates read ‘CRASIN’

I Put a water pump on it in the early 2000’s.  It was owned for many years by one collector, ‘Craig’  he had a 1971 fleetwood wagon in the same colors. I want to say there was a connection between the two cars new. He also traded rolls Royce and had red sheepskin overlays made for the rear.

He sold all his cars in early 2000’s, including a maroon Eldorado brougham.

There is a large picture of the 1971 limo in our local coulter Cadillac dealership, upstairs.  I mentioned (with image) it to Craig and he said he had no idea picture was there or the setting it was in...but his plates were clearly on it.

James Landi

It's different, and I find it very attractive, especially those colors with  that design year  styling.  Very nice indeed.   What's it worth?    James

D.Smith

Quote from: James Landi on October 20, 2018, 06:24:12 PM
It's different, and I find it very attractive, especially those colors with  that design year  styling.  Very nice indeed.   What's it worth?    James

As much as someone's willing to pay for it.    It's one of one.   How can you put a value on it?
The best you can do is see what other 71 Limos have sold for, if you can, then figure this one is worth more due to its color rarity.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Is the exterior color on the car a correct one for 1971
or was that an SO?  Asking since I can see it was
repainted.  Check the pics with the doors open and
note the color on the strikers, etc.  I didn't see any
pics of the data plate but may have missed them.

Also, is that vinyl top and landau irons factory?

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

V63

When I knew the car it was extremely low mile original. It still looks good. I believe the color is #74 Cambridge metallic, a std 1971 offering. The S bars were on it then, and I would say factory done.

D.Smith

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on October 20, 2018, 10:10:19 PM

Also, is that vinyl top and landau irons factory?

Mike

If you scroll up to my original post and see the first document posted in is the limo page from the ordering book describing the roof and landau bars.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Thanks Dave, I did quick look-see at that and missed
it the first time.  Interesting to me because I never
would have thought that was a factory item.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

"Landau roof" was a very costly option on Series 75 which normally included simulated Landau irons but these could be deleted if so desired. The Landau roof featured enclosed rear quarter windows and small rear window opening providing greater privacy to the rear seat passengers.

I'm not certain when the Landau option was discontinued but a 1978 Fleetwood is shown in 80 Years of Cadillac & LaSalle by Walter McCall with Landau roof (with irons).

D.Smith

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on October 22, 2018, 09:27:02 AM
"Landau roof" was a very costly option on Series 75 which normally included simulated Landau irons but these could be deleted if so desired.

I'm not certain when the Landau option was discontinued but a 1978 Fleetwood is shown in 80 Years of Cadillac & LaSalle by Walter McCall with Landau roof (with irons).

There is no mention of it in my 79 & 80 Data books.    However it is mentioned as available in my 1979 Optional Specifications book.   I don't have the 1980 version.

Quote from: D.Smith on October 22, 2018, 09:41:41 AM
There is no mention of it in my 79 & 80 Data books.

I'm certain it could still be SO'd nonetheless.

Incidentally, the Landau roof only extends to the rear door openings on the '78 Fleetwood while the roof above the driver's compartment is painted. There is also a wide brushed chrome crossover molding bordering the painted & vinyl areas which extends into the B-pillars.

Quote from: D.Smith on October 21, 2018, 07:07:12 AM
If you scroll up to my original post and see the first document posted in is the limo page from the ordering book describing the roof and landau bars.

I have stared at it for a long time but still do not see it. You mean the document which also deals with the SO interior colors ("Antique Dark Jade")?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

D.Smith

Sorry, I thought I had posted these two photos as well.

Interesting the rear window opening could be ordered in either size and that a different headliner material was used on Series 75 cars with Landau roof.

654$ for the bars (inflation-adjusted)...  :o
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville