News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 air ride noise

Started by Tony clc#24130, October 20, 2018, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony clc#24130

My 70 Fleetwood has the vacuum air ride compressor which appears to work OK but it has a rhythmic squeak to it when the car is driving down the street. I only hear it when I'm out of the car but my teenage boys hear it driving. Is there a way to oil or grease the o-rings inside or is there something else I should do.

Dave Shepherd

Silly question here, but are you sure it's the compressor?  Disconnect it see if the noise goes away.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the noise is only there when driving, then I would be looking at noisy hub caps/wheel trims.

If it is there whilst sitting with the motor idling, then it could be the ALC.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

V63

Assuming the noise is originating there. They can make a clicking noise, i thought they all did unless NOT working?

So,  it’s a good sign it’s probably working ...I’d be real careful what I  introduce into it, or better resist the urge entirely.  Turn up the radio😂

Glen

You might want to change the vacuum hoses to the compressor.  If they get soft and collapse they can cause a squeaking sound.  The compressor normally runs when the engine is idling unless there is a leak.  But if the vacuum hose is collapsing it could cause the compressor to not come up to pressure.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Tony clc#24130

That's a good suggestion, I will check the vacuum feed line and see if it's soft or collapsed.