News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Getting off front brake drum on 67 Cadillac Calais

Started by richardbergquist, October 21, 2018, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardbergquist

The rear ones came off super easy. The front won’t budge. Wheel spins freely, doesn’t look like all too much rust. Am I missing something? Repair manual says “remove drum” and that’s it.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

richardbergquist

Quote from: 76eldo on October 21, 2018, 05:22:24 PM
Did you remove the spindle nut?

The one holding the wheel bearing? That needs to come off to take the brake drum off?

76eldo

Yes.
Please don't be offended but that's just basic knowledge.  Also need to reinstall the drum and bearings properly with the proper preload and secure with a new cotter pin or you could lose the wheel, drum and hub on the road.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

richardbergquist

I’m not at all offended. I’ve been working on every car I’ve had the past 12 years. I’ve never heard about this. I’ve called an old friend who is also knowledgeable about cars, he didn’t know. So there’s still stuff to learn. Why would I be offended? If anything I could be offended that you feel I should be offended.

35-709

"Also need to reinstall the drum and bearings properly with the proper preload and secure with a new cotter pin or you could lose the wheel, drum and hub on the road."

As noted in your shop manual.   :)  And don't forget to properly clean and repack grease in your wheel bearings before reassembly.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

This is one of the reasons I went to front disc brakes.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Julien Abrahams

In order to set the baering preload. You need a torque wrench. Upon reassembly, repack the bearing with grease, install it and tighten the axle nut to 30 ft lbs. Then back off the nut obe quarter turn and install the cotterpin. If the cotterpin cannot be installed, loosen (!) The nut a bit further until you can.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

76eldo

Disc brakes are much easier to service but the drum brakes on my 60 Cad stop on a dime.  I dislike working on drum brakes because there are so many more parts involved but not enough to attempt to change from drum to disc.

When the systems are in proper working order and adjusted correctly they work very well.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Anyone know why sometimes the drums (and sometimes discs) are a 'hat' on the hub and other times a single piece or pressed together assembly?   It seems often throughout history they were a hat but then there were also times they weren't. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

richardbergquist

Thanks Julien, I will go and buy a torque wrench. The nut was not exactly tight on the bearing when I took it off. A mechanic had this whole thing off last week. What size is that hex but btw? I don’t hace a socket that big.

I’ve been able to remove all bolts now except for the brake line going into the cylinder. Repair manual says to remove the line at the fender for the front brake cylinders. Anyone knows the reasons for why that step is necessary?

richardbergquist

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 76eldo on October 22, 2018, 06:59:49 AM
Disc brakes are much easier to service but the drum brakes on my 60 Cad stop on a dime.  I dislike working on drum brakes because there are so many more parts involved but not enough to attempt to change from drum to disc.

When the systems are in proper working order and adjusted correctly they work very well.

I never stated that the drum brakes didn't work well.  They can actually work well, even in our cars, because they are so large.

However, you said it above: when in proper working order, and adjusted correctly. You have to take the whole axle apart just to look at them. That's what drove me to change.

As far as hat / no hat, aka two piece vs. one piece. The trend has been to simplify the manufacturing process and with newer materials science, the bearing and wear surfaces in the hub and disc, which was the reason for the early 2 piece construction so that one could theoretically replace just the rotor or hub as needed, are improved, so most are now one piece construction. As far back as 1970, Cadillac went from a 3 piece steering knuckle, steering arm and disc mounting bracket assembly to a one piece assembly. That really simplified things in steering & front suspension area.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

76eldo

You have to undo the rubber brake hose at the union to the metal fitting.  This is because you cannot undo it at the cylinder because it will just keep twisting around.  You should spray penetrating oil on the fitting at the metal line and let it soak a bit.  Only use the correct line wrench to break the fitting loose.  If you use an ordinary open end wrench you will round off the head of the fitting.

What exactly are you doing with the brakes?

If you are not familiar, these are line wrenches:

https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/3515901-21.jpg

Available at most auto stores and places that sell tools.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS