News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 LIMO WOOD VEENER TRIM QUESTION AND CLEANING TRIM ...

Started by 1969cadillac, October 24, 2018, 07:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello !

I need advice on how to revarnish / reglue the door panel veneer trim - pls see pics attached - it is lifting , and although not in bad shape - I may as well revarnish it ? while it is off .

My main question is how do I remove the trim without breaking it and what glue is used to glue it back on ?

Also!

What is the best stuff / method to clean off 50 years of dirt on the door pull (plastic) and the trim piece on the top of the door frame

thx , Murray Mules

Bentley

Hi Murray,

I just restored these panels on my '68. On the '68, the wood veneer is glued to the metal back plate, and the metal back plate is attached to the frame with rivets. You have to grind those rivets off, and separate the two pieces with a screwdriver. Then you can refinish the wood veneer. See the attached photos.

I'm not familiar with the '69 and I don't see any rivets on your back plate. Are there any?

Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Scot Minesinger

Another good way is replace them with high quality used.  On my 1970 Cadillac (where all the wood is not grown from a tree, 69 door panels were tree grown), I found extremely nice used wood inserts for low cost.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty