News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

60 years

Started by fishnjim, October 24, 2018, 09:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

I have to admit, I’m mentally sockless, “my socks have been blown off”.    My ’58 coupe is a spartan sputnik chromed big fin era survivor with lots of age-related impairments, much like myself.   My ’19 XT5 arrived and is a F-35 stealth inspired fashion designers work of art.   We used to have a word bluehairs for certain drivers, now we have blue teeth?   We asked why? but now it's WhyFi?
I started driving in drop tops and always had a soft spot for them.   Especially the big sofa cushion red leather jobs, we couldn’t afford back then.  Seeing one starts a drool reaction in my mouth.   When they stopped making, I kept a mechanism from one I junked, in case, I might need it someday.   After 40+ that need hasn’t risen.   So I switched to sunroof models afterward, and I even missed having one in my last P/U.   I was going to have one installed on it but procrastinated.   As soon as I wrapped my arthritic hands on this new could be heated steering wheel, I knew this was the one and then it vibrated my “seat” from the alert system.   Wow, as the old joke goes, those Caddys do think of everything.   I went out to gather some papers last night, and when I opened the door, this cool blue light was shining out of the X5 console.   Another feature I had no idea was there and have opportunity to explore.   Coming from the “clock or radio” is an option generation, with mostly no A/C, since we had convertibles, you can’t begin to understand my feelings looking through the big glass top. 
These people that want to take away our right to drive and experience automotive “splendor” with these dronish autonomous robot cars can all go to the nearest blackhole and forever disappear.   Tell your Congressman â€" that idea’s gone too, well maybe your dealer…or unlike on facebook or whatever one does these days.

Lexi

Yep. Modern automobiles are not the rolling art they used to be. They have become an interactive tool that has been designed to interface with our digital world while they provide transportation. In the process they have largely lost their individual brand identity. Clay/Lexi

76eldo

I can relate.

I have a 1960 Cadillac convert with the red sofa front seat you referred to.  We also have a 2017 XT5 in the family fleet and it's a great vehicle.

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

James Landi

Thank you Mr. Bozin for a brilliantly humorous and wonderfully insightful personal narrative.  Along with my morning coffee, your eloquent piece was just a perfect way to begin my day.  I need to add some personal observations that may be simply my hang-ups but do, in a way, relate to your observations.  I treated myself to the super sporty XLR that features an array of gadgets that were, in days of yore  (before the smart phone--it's a 2007), truly high tech.  I drive the car like an old man (I'm 73)--- I have other sports car drivers occasionally wanting to challenge me to put the "pedal to the metal." I generally pull over to the break down lane to allow them to safely pass.   And there are features that I am far too intimidated to explore... along the lines of your "clock or radio" comment.  So I have to ask, it is age or simply the overwhelming refinement of our contemporay automobiles that are affecting our emotional balance?  James

savemy67

Hello all,

"Oh well, just drive the Caddy and I no Longer worry about what im not missing. Im free."

Words to live by.

Technology should enable, not enslave.  Many of us are old enough to have been enthralled by the space-race of the 1960s.  The Moon is one thing, but colonizing exoplanets is of a scale more than likely to be unobtainable.  The Age of Enlightenment gave way to the Age of Romanticism.  The balance is somewhere between.

I think about this every time I work on or drive my Cadillac.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

fishnjim

Ponder the thought: Age gives perspective youth does not have therefore can not know.   

Aside: When that XLR came out, I thought, "has Caddy lost their mind?"   Compete with AMG?   Competition brother - that hones the sword but eventually leads to we all fight with the same weapon, until the next big advance upsets the balance.   I just hope it's not automonous)
We all seek escapement from this maddening world, some do it in a Cad(s).  Fortunately, I have several escape routes on other paths...

Lexi

Quote from: fishnjim on October 26, 2018, 10:04:19 AM
We all seek escapement from this maddening world, some do it in a Cad(s).  Fortunately, I have several escape routes on other paths...

Good one! Me as well! Clay/Lexi