News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

8 volt regulator

Started by tom@lempicke.com, October 25, 2018, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom@lempicke.com

Sorry guys, I know this had probably been beaten to death but I can not seem to find what I am looking for.

Just bought a 1940 LaSalle. (Chassis 2330746) Previous owner put an eight volt battery in it, a 12 volt generator and a tweaked regulator.

When the car is cold all is well, however when the car is warm the reverse current relay does not want to pull in.  In normal conditions I would just put a six volt back in and be on my way, however the whole ignition system has been set up for eight volts.  It works GREAT.  The car starts, runs and drives just like it should.

Is there such a thing as an eight volt regulator?  I know the VW guys were doing this at one time and also the antique tractor guys were doing this.

Dan LeBlanc

You can use a 6v generator and voltage regulator and adjust it so that you get just over 9 volts.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dave Shepherd

If you have 6v bulbs, they won't last long.

TJ Hopland

Do you know if they tried to adjust a 6 volt reg up or a 12v down?   What I remember was adjusting the original 6's up when you went to 12 and that seemed to work fine so I would think 8-9 would be ok.   Maybe if they did it with a 12 that is the problem?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I was wondering if it was changed from plus to minus ground, which
will affect the generating system, the ignition, and other things?  And
if solid state components were added? 
Bruce Roe