News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

58 sixty special back glass install

Started by Tandymo, October 25, 2018, 08:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tandymo

Hi everyone. I am trying to install back glass on my 58 sixty special. The book calls for a medium body sealer. Any help or suggestions on this process would be greatly appreciated. I am in Northern California and have not been able to find anyone to touch this job. Have all trim removed, new clips ready and a new gasket from Steele.
T. Morrison

V63

First accept that Aftermarket gaskets do not fit as well as originals!

Best to have 2 people .

The best thing to do is warm the gasket in hot water.

The shop manual has instructions, do you have one?

Tandymo

Yes I have the manual. Mostly wondering about the sealer to use

savemy67

Hello Tandymo,

In the mid-sixties, auto manufacturers started gluing windshields and rear windows into cars - abandoning the older method of retaining the glass with a gasket that mechanically held the glass to the pinchweld of the body opening.

Gluing the glass required a strong adhesive which also needed to be waterproof.  I believe the method used on your '58 doesn't require an adhesive - just a waterproof sealer.  I can't recommend any particular brand, but just be sure you are looking for a non-adhesive sealer.  I think 3M, CRL, and maybe Permatex still make these.  I would avoid the use of Urethane adhesives and Silicone.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Tandymo

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

V63

I suppose I would use black 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

Skwerly62

I would NOT use the weatherstrip sealer. It hardens like a rock and has very little tooling time to work with before hardening. It is also solvent based and hard to clean up. Here is what 3M makes specifically for glass install. I’m doing the same for my 60 front and rear.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Auto-Bedding-and-Glazing-Compound/?N=5002385+3293194048&rt=rud
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!