News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New CLC member - '68 questions

Started by bctexas, October 27, 2018, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bctexas

Hi all, new member Bernie Long here in Aubrey, TX (member 31627).  I'm a life long car nut.  Don't own a Cadillac yet, but working on it.  When I was a kid, my dad drove a Caddy when he could afford it, and a Chevy when he couldn't.  The Cadillacs included a '59 SDV, a '68 Fleetwood Sixty Special, a '76 SDV and a '86 Fleetwood.  The '68 was my favorite, in part because dad and I worked on it quite a bit, and he let me drive it often.  He was a salesman, and put about 50k miles/year on it.  We fixed just about everything on that car at least once including a full engine rebuild.  When he sold it, it was approaching 250k miles.

Well, dad has been gone for some years now.  I have retired, and we built a new house and shop in the last year.  So I want to finally fulfill my ambition to own a '68.  I'm looking at a Fleetwood Sixty Special, but it has some needs and I'm not sure how much $ I should budget for repairs.  Any (rough) estimates of what I would be up against would be appreciated.  Understand I have a pretty complete shop, and can do most any work (short of body work - I know my limits) that is needed.

So, the steering wheel on this car is shot.  I see ads in Hemmings for outfits that restore steering wheels - any idea what it would cost?  Think I would have any luck finding a dark green wheel in good shape?  Also, the HVAC is not in the greatest shape.  The heater core has been bypassed, and the AC is questionable.  What is the common path to getting HVAC working in these cars?  Someone like Vintage Air or is it practical to restore the factory AC?  Budget?  Understand I don't plan to make this a show winner, just a nice driver.  I would like to keep it stock appearing at least, but no "resto-mod" or air bag plans....

I was involved with various sports car clubs for many years, and I look forward to joining the Cadillac community.  Kind of odd I suppose, one of my sports cars is a replica of a Lotus Seven called a Birkin.  It is a 1220 lb roadster.  And here I am looking at a 4800 lb Caddy that is a foot short of twice the length of the Birkin.  Maybe I'm just confused....  :-)

Regards,
Bernie

1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Highwayman68

Hi Bernie,

I have a 68 Fleetwood Brougham.

You are in luck as I have a 68 dark green steering wheel for a Tilt/Telescopic column available that I was going to post for sale this coming spring. The silver insert is loose but can be reattached by the right person with the patience to do those things. I think that we can work out a deal on it if your car has a Tilt/Telescopic column.

I presently have all of my AC hoses and the dryer at Classic Air in Tampa, they should be finished next week. I had gotten good recommendations about them and they have been easy to deal with so far. They actually cut the pipes just behind the crimped connector, solder on a new section of pipe then slide the new hose on with the new crimps.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Scot Minesinger

I own a 1970 Cadillac, and I'm sure many people will advise that the most cost effective way to own an old car is to buy one that is either already restored correctly (and "correctly" is very important), or one that is a low mileage original that has been gone through.  In short buy the nicest you can afford.  Buying a car that needs a lot of work will be very expensive. 

I know a friend who bought what may seem like an affordable 1972 Cadillac for 7k, and after he had 40k invested, it still needed paint and upholstery.  There are not very many 1972 Cadillacs that would sell for past 40k, even a frame off restored one, or a very low mileage original.

Keep us posted, and enjoy your search for a nice 1968 Cadillac! 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bctexas

Hi Mark, thanks for the offer!  This car indeed is tilt/telescope.  If I do end up with the car, I will certainly get in touch!  There is a hose shop not far from here that I have used for custom hoses a couple of times over the years.  Also, Old Air is in Ft Worth about an hour south of us and they list parts for the '68. They also did a R134 conversion on a friend's '64 Dodge and did a very nice job for a reasonable price.  Can you post a pic of your '68?

Scot, "buy the nicest car you can afford" is good advice, and I can afford a nicer one.  The temptation to take a shot at getting it really cheap (it is "no reserve" at an auction out of state) is strong.  I have been watching the market for a while now and decent looking '68 Fleetwoods don't show up very often - especially Sixty Specials since they only made 3300 of them.  Most likely I will pass on this one and try to find something local that I can put hands on and drive before buying, even if it isn't a '68 or even a Fleetwood.  I find all of the stacked headlight '60's Caddys appealing.

Thanks for the replies!

Bernie

1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Scot Minesinger

1968 is a really great year;, last of the stacked headlights, last year of vent windows (front and rear in 60S), last year for real wood on the dash, and most important first year of the 472 engine.  The 429 engine was used from 1964 thru 1967 and it has an aluminum front cover which is the weak point of the engine.  The 472 is more durable with a steel front cover (that is available as a new replacement part) and plus all parts are readily available.  The 429 is a wonderful engine, but given the choice between the two, 472 is my preference.

When I was in search mode, I wanted a 472 hi-compression convertible RWD, which leaves 1968, 69 and 70, and ended up with a 1970, that I have owned now for 13 years and driven 40k + miles.  Strongly recommend that you resist the temptation to buy a low cost classic to fix up, ultimately you will spend much more than buying a nice one.  There was a super nice 1968 Cadillac 60S for sale triple black a while ago with 1967 front seat backs that had the picnic fold down tables (1966 and 1967 only), and I think it sold past 20k - was tempted myself.  To me it was the ultimate 60S.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bctexas

Thanks for the info Scot - I did not know about the 429 front cover.  One of the reasons we rebuilt the engine in my dad's '68 many years ago was the discovery that the cam sprocket was disintegrating and had scattered bits though the engine.  Is that something that one would need to investigate on any 472 purchase?
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

35-709

Absolutely!  The plastic tipped gears on the sprocket all have, or will, disintegrate.  Replacing the timing gear and chain, or at least confirming that someone has already done so, is pretty much a must.  Plastic tipped gears were used before the 501 series engines (472, 500, 425) also. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

bctexas

Thanks for the info - kind of suspected that was the case! 
1965 CDV
1970 SDV