News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Installing cruise control in a '70 Fleetwood

Started by J.C., October 29, 2018, 02:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

I have a '70 Fleetwood with about 35,000 miles on it that I'm generally extremely happy with.  But it doesn't have cruise control on it.  I drove it about 110 miles today to and from a show, and I really wished I'd had cruise control.  Is there a way to retrofit the car with a 1970 Cadillac cruise control system without damaging the engine, the dash instruments, or any other systems?  Is there a reason it's a bad idea to try this?  All thoughts appreciated!
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Scot Minesinger

The cruise control can be added but it is a pain.  The reason is the steering column mounted turn signal switch has to be changed out, which gets into steering column and wiring work. 

The under hood work is easy, mount transducer and throttle actuator, plus change to two speedo cables.  There is also a dash mounted switch, and the two brake release switches.  The modification work is not too bad except for the steering column mounted turn signal switch.  All in all, it does not seem worth it to me. 

I have three 1970 Cadillacs, and have added these three must have not too bad to add:  the trunk release button, the auto turn on the headlights when it gets dark and tilt/tel steering column whenever they did not have these options.  Some options are difficult to add, such as pull down trunk, and cruise control.  Two of my Cadillac have cruise, the one I drive the most does not and you get used to it.

Anything is possible.  If you do your own work, then it might be worth it, otherwise probably not.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

Unless you want strict originality, these work well and are available at Summit, Amazon, eBay and many other aftermarket vendors.  http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php   There are many different switch styles available also.

I have installed these CCs and their predecessors in many cars.  Most recently I have installed the Rostra CC in my '73 Cadillac Caribou, my '35 Cadillac resto-mod, and my Jaguar resto-mod.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I'm also a fan of the rostra.   The box has a reasonably long throttle cable so if you are concerned about looks you can likely find a sort of out of plain view place to locate it.    They have an assortment of turn signal switches available so you may be able to find one that bolts onto your 70.   They don't use odd configuration switches like the factory ones did so pretty much any switch will work and you really only need the set one so you can get creative with locations or re purpose some existing switch factory or aftermarket. 

Don't forget when ordering you need a speed sensor kit.   I have used the speedometer cable ones.  They have a little adapter that threads on the transmission then the existing cable screws onto it.  Cable is plenty long to run where ever you need it.   Seemed easier than screwing around with the other universal option which is magnets and such. 

On one car (a 57 pontiac) there was an ashtray that if pulled out was within easy reach of the driver so I bought the panel mount universal rostra switch and make a plate to mount it in place of the actual ash pan part.  Its really slick you want to use it slide out the ash tray and the switches are well labeled and I think even lit.  Don't want it slide it closed and its hidden.   If you were a smoker or the ash tray isn't in easy reach that may not work for you.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John
If you decide to go with the factory system PM me. I would bought an NOS turn signal/Cruise control switch and never use it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

gene harl

the rosta works great on my 51 cad,,, switch is on the turn sig ....
  Gene Harl     CLC 22406

chrisntam

Pros for the Rostra:

Readily available
Cost $200 to $300 + install
More functionality than the factory cruise
Parts readily available
Instructions on how to install
Better functionality than the factory cruise
Warranty
Can the switch(es) be hidden from view?

Cons for the Rostra:

Not factory - if judged, what points will be deducted?

Pros for factory cruise:

Factory, just like it came from the General!

Cons for factory cruise:

Tough to find a complete, working set up with all the parts
What will a complete set up cost to buy?  $500?  $1000?  If you get it from a certain seller on eBay, it'll cost $3,495.00.... ::)
Cost to install?  $500?  $750?
Will any (dash) parts be damaged during the install?
Will you be happy with the '70 engineered cruise set up? (mine hunts slightly, but is tolerable)

What else?

Seems to me the Rostra may be the answer.  If my '70 didn't have it, I'd lean really hard toward the Rostra.  While looking for my car, not having factory cruise was a deal breaker.

Many years ago, I added a Perfect Circle add on cruise to my '55 Chevy and LOVED it.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

J.C.

Quote from: 35-709 on October 29, 2018, 10:47:45 AM
Unless you want strict originality, these work well and are available at Summit, Amazon, eBay and many other aftermarket vendors.  http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php   There are many different switch styles available also.

I have installed these CCs and their predecessors in many cars.  Most recently I have installed the Rostra CC in my '73 Cadillac Caribou, my '35 Cadillac resto-mod, and my Jaguar resto-mod.

Thanks, G!  I think I'm going to give this Rostra unit a try!
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

J.C.

Quote from: chrisntam on October 30, 2018, 09:55:18 PM
Pros for the Rostra:

Readily available
Cost $200 to $300 + install
More functionality than the factory cruise
Parts readily available
Instructions on how to install
Better functionality than the factory cruise
Warranty
Can the switch(es) be hidden from view?

Cons for the Rostra:

Not factory - if judged, what points will be deducted?

Pros for factory cruise:

Factory, just like it came from the General!

Cons for factory cruise:

Tough to find a complete, working set up with all the parts
What will a complete set up cost to buy?  $500?  $1000?  If you get it from a certain seller on eBay, it'll cost $3,495.00.... ::)
Cost to install?  $500?  $750?
Will any (dash) parts be damaged during the install?
Will you be happy with the '70 engineered cruise set up? (mine hunts slightly, but is tolerable)

What else?

Seems to me the Rostra may be the answer.  If my '70 didn't have it, I'd lean really hard toward the Rostra.  While looking for my car, not having factory cruise was a deal breaker.

Many years ago, I added a Perfect Circle add on cruise to my '55 Chevy and LOVED it.

Hey, Chris,
If it's cheaper, easier to install, and works better, then I think the Rostra system is the best choice.  Thanks for laying out the cost-benefit analysis of each option!  I'll post my progress here with some pictures shortly.  Thanks to everyone else who responded, too!
J.C.
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge