News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gasoline smell in 1956 Eldorado Seville

Started by cadman56, October 29, 2018, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman56

Every time I fill the car I get a strong smell of gasoline.  We have to open the vents and roll down all the windows.  I do not overfill and have replaced all the rubber lines on the vent lines and fill line.  There is no leak around the sender unit or the metal line going forward.  The tank has no leaks either.
The vent line design on this car is really strange.  And I get a strong smell when turning to the right.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

This was a common issue on the early 1955
Eldorado.  When the tank was over 1/2 full
and you made a sharp right turn at speeds of 35
MPH or above, gas would slosh out of the vent.

I have a 1955 Eldorado and my car has this issue.
It was an early car, built in December 1954.

Later in the 1955 model year one a Technical
Bulletin was issued with a "fix" that the dealer was
supposed to do.  It involved rerouting the vent and
adding a piece of additional pipe.

I'm surprised that this is still an issue with a 1956.
I would have thought the "fix" would have been built
in by then at the factory.

I never bothered trying to "fix" mine, just don't fill
the tank over 1/2 full and have had no further issues.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

cadman56

Thanks Mike,
There is a much smaller vent line that connects to the main vent line.  It is routed into the left rear frame rail.
Next time I crawl under the car I will remove it to see if it may be plugged.
I hope I can get this fixed because we do tend to drive our car a lot.
Thanks again.  I will keep the forum notified if I get ti fixed.
Larry

Lexi

Hello Larry! Just a long shot but if not the vent tube, I wonder if the carb is leaking especially through one of those access ports on the side of the carburetor that are covered by a screw (or a bad bowl gasket)? I think they provide access to the float bowl. Clay/Lexi

cadman56

I thought the original gas  then cap was tight but a new one fit much tighter.
The small vent line I referred to is routed up to the outside top of the rear frame rail then runs to almost the front of the rear tire.  A rubber hose is attached and loops over the top of the frame rail then attaches to another small tube that runs to rear of the car on along the top inside of the rear frame rail.  This tube is then formed to goe inside the rear frame box and terminates into tha area that is close to where the rear springs shackles is attached. 
This line is open so next time I have the car out we will see if the gas cap was the issue.
BTW the main vent line is open.

Jon S

Have you replaced your gas tank?  There should be baffles inside to minimize sloshing. Replacements may not have the baffles.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

Quote from: cadman56 on November 01, 2018, 04:44:12 PM
I thought the original gas  then cap was tight but a new one fit much tighter.
The small vent line I referred to is routed up to the outside top of the rear frame rail then runs to almost the front of the rear tire.  A rubber hose is attached and loops over the top of the frame rail then attaches to another small tube that runs to rear of the car on along the top inside of the rear frame rail.  This tube is then formed to goe inside the rear frame box and terminates into tha area that is close to where the rear springs shackles is attached. 
This line is open so next time I have the car out we will see if the gas cap was the issue.
BTW the main vent line is open.
Larry,

Could that be the atmospheric vent extension for the filler pipe which is listed in the MPL for the late 56-37SDX and 56-67SX after engine #96161?   ???

The MPL also list a special extension vent pipe upper pipe with loom for the same 56-37SDX and 56-67SX.
T
he MPL also list a single part # for the fuel tank on all models and it has the vent pipe just above the main filler inlet.

Interesting layout, curious if the pipe was left open intentionally or if there was something attached at the end for protection.  :o  Maybe someone with these models can chime in.

Quote from: Jon S on November 01, 2018, 07:43:36 PM
Have you replaced your gas tank?  There should be baffles inside to minimize sloshing. Replacements may not have the baffles.

Jon,

No baffles on the ’56 that is one reason they all suffer from the “dancing fuel gauge” syndrome.   :D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman56

As far far as I can tell it is the original gas tank.  I  I did remove it to have it steam cleaned.   As far as I can tell, everything I mentioned is factory original.  What I described must be a tank vent, but the gas cap is vented too so why would there be two vents?
This is my first Eldorado.  I have owned and restored many non-Eldorado 56's.
Maybe the gas cap should not be vented?

J. Gomez

Quote from: cadman56 on November 02, 2018, 11:54:42 AM
As far far as I can tell it is the original gas tank.  I  I did remove it to have it steam cleaned.   As far as I can tell, everything I mentioned is factory original.  What I described must be a tank vent, but the gas cap is vented too so why would there be two vents?
This is my first Eldorado.  I have owned and restored many non-Eldorado 56's.
Maybe the gas cap should not be vented?

Larry,

I would take a wild guess the Eldorado having a short filler tube and having it exit low on the rear fender and with the vented tank option versus the standard ’56 with a larger filler tube would have the non-vented gas cap while the standard models would have the vented cap.   ???

So that could well be your issue on having a vented gas cap causing fuel to spill out when make right turns. You could place a non-vented cap and see if that fixes you problem.  ;)

I’m surprise that no other ’56 owner specially those with an Eldorado have yet to chime in.   :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac Jack 82

Check your fuel filter bowl if you have it.  I had a similar problem in my 55.  Turned out the filter seal had dry rotted and it had been spewing gas on my intake manifold!  Lucky for me nothing ignited...
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Roger Zimmermann

On my '56 Eldo, I have a standard fuel cap. I have no issue with that: no fuel odor nor fuel spilling out. I admit however, that the position of the fuel neck is far from ideal.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 03, 2018, 05:32:56 AM
On my '56 Eldo, I have a standard fuel cap. I have no issue with that: no fuel odor nor fuel spilling out. I admit however, that the position of the fuel neck is far from ideal.

Roger,

Would that be a vented or non-vented type cap?

I guess it should not be an issue having a vented cap on a vented tank as long as the cap seals the filler neck and the vent hole does not spill fuel.  ???

The MPL (1/1/1959) list the part # as 1453962 for all ’49-’58 tanks which it was later superseded by 3736549 as vented caps. 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

It must be a vented cap. It's a repro one, don't have its designation anymore nor the place I bought it. It is similar to the ones from my '56 de Ville and the '57 Brougham.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadman56

I installed a Stant 37 gas cap.  It is identical to the old cap.
There are no ga leaks around the fuel filter bowl or any other location top side of the engine.
I am taking her in for a major trans rebuild as she no longer goes into 4th so it will a while before I can get her back on the road.