News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Swapping a HEI distributor for a 1969 points distributor

Started by Coupe, October 29, 2018, 01:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe

A friend of mine is wondering if he can put a 70's HEI distributor in his a 1969 Eldorado.  I told him I think it's possible but I would check to be sure.  All comments are appreciated.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

TJ Hopland

Possible issues are the distributor base may slightly interfere with the smog cross over pipe.   No idea why some hit it and some don't.  If it does hit a slight whack with a block of wood and hammer will get the clearance and the ones I have done you could not even tell they had been altered. 

Second possible issue is if he still has the AC in place and is running both belts the inner belt may rub on the side of the cap with certain timing positions of the cap.   Some have reported it just misses and others have said it rubs slightly but just let it rub and it didn't seem to cause issues.    If there is no AC compressor then no problem because the belt just runs direct to the PS no where near the dizzy.   

Factory fix for this was to go to a wider single belt.  75+ has this setup.  Often times people use that as an excuse to also get rid of the smog pump setup by getting a pulley set from a year that had the single groove and no smog which 75 and 78 seem to be the most common years to not find a smog pump but it depends on where it was sold originally.    Also note that ideally you would have to change the PS and AC pulleys.  You also want to get the timing indicator to stay with the set because those varied over the years too.    I have run a dual groove PS with the single wide belt with no issues other than it looks odd.   Earlier cars used a bolt on PS pulley, later press on.  A Cad bolt on single groove was just a partial 74 year thing so very rare.   

Obviously this could be a can o worms thing depending on the condition of all the parts involved.  They need to be replaced anyway its easy just replace them with 75+ stuff.  IF they are good then its getting rid of a lot of working stuff.  Another option would be look at an aftermarket electronic dizzy,  those are the points sized caps so no clearance issues.   The specialty vendors have them and I think MSD? makes one you can get from just about anywhere.    Note that the different styles dizzys and caps use different style wires so take possibly buying a new set of wires into the total cost.

Other options would be something like a Pertronix or something like a MSD6 'ignition box'.  The 6 box still triggers off the points but doesn't arc them so they last a really long time and gives you some other performance gains even over something like an HEI.  If you got good  bushings in the dizzy, wires, cap and rotor now the box I think is worth considering.   You could even get fancy with connectors and make it so it just unplugged and you plug a bypass jack in and you are back to 100% stock points. 

Last note everything but the 6 box option will strongly recommend bypassing the ballast resistor wire leading to the coil.  Its dooable but just one more thing to factor in for hassle factor.   The 6 doesn't need that done because it gets its power from wires you hook direct to the battery, it only monitors the existing wires to know when to do its thing so it doesn't care that there is or isn't a resistor in place which is a big deal if you are thinking backup of quick change back to points if the fancy schmacy electronics failed.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

No matter what HEI or electronic system you use to replace the points, it will require bypassing the resistor wire.

The Pertronix system has always worked well for me and here is another option to consider that I might try next time ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-472-500-PRO-SERIES-Small-Cap-Black-HEI-Distributor-Coil-Spark-Plug-Wire/191789428878
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Coupe

Thank you for your answers.  I have passed them on to my friend.  I have offered to help with either option.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2