News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

chrome around the vinyl top, 1970 Fleetwood

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, October 30, 2018, 03:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark heads to Hyannis Vintage Auto this week, finally.

I believe, I think, the chrome trim around the vinyl top is supposed to be black, I polished off the paint to reveal the beautiful shiny chrome. Now the new roof is going on, Tuxedo instead of 'correct' Cross Grain, it was a HUGE price difference and I'm not trying/can't afford to build a 100 point car. But I probably should get the chrome correct. Black semi gloss or flat black? The few pics I've seen of a 1970 Fleetwood with a black vinyl top, its hard to tell the shine on the chrome.

Grateful as always,

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Laurie, My '70 sales brochure is downstairs and I don't want to fight the cats to not follow me. So I hauled out the '69 that was in a drawer right behind me. It shows that there is chrome outlining the tops of the side windows. And the Brougham with a vinyl top has a chrome bead around the bottom of the top.
These are artists drawings so they might have changed things. But maybe this will help until the '70 experts chime in.
We're all hoping that not too much metal has gone on the Ark. Best of luck. You might go on line and see if you can find a page with 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and get all the different colored pictures. Nix all this and see below:

Type in 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, google it, and go down to "notorious luxury." Go past the Cornisch convertible and you'll find one with your color ? with a white top. Keep going until you find the black one. Keep scrolling down until you find a closeup of what you need to know.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Laurie:

Not sure about your '70 Fleetwood, but on my 1973
it's like this:

These pieces are metal.  The piece around the halo roof
is black (painted).  The piece around the rear window is
also black, except for the part about 3/8" wide that is
next to the glass -- that's chromed.  This does not show
up well with factory brochure pics (I looked) it's too small
a detail.

You may think they are all chrome since as the black
paint wears, it looks "shiny metal" under it.  I had to
repaint mine years ago due to wear.

We have several 1970's experts on this Forum,
hopefully one will chime in and confirm this.
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Cadillac Fleetwood

Hi Laurie,
I have a 1970 Fleetwood Brougham (Cotillion White, White Vinyl Roof, Red Leather) which I have owned since 1984, and drove as an everyday car from 1989 through 2000.

The halo vinyl roof mouldings consist of the following:  Stainless moulding across the front, stainless moulding fore and aft along each roof rail, stainless moulding down the leading edge of the "C" pillar and across the "C" pillar base, and stainless moulding across the rear lower edge.  At each corner is a die-cast chrome piece with interlocking tabs to engage the stainless mouldings.

As to finish, part of the bright mouldings, both on the stainless pieces and on the die-cast corners, were painted out using paint to match the color of the vinyl roof.  The character line in the mouldings delineates the painted portion, and the part that was left bright.  This gave the illusion of a delicate, jewel-like bright moulding, while affording the added strength of a wider, thicker moulding.  This trick, in combination with the "halo" roof treatment, de-emphasized the added height of the Fleetwood roofline.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

wrefakis

original molding

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just out of curiosity, does the rear window have that
chrome "bead" treatment as well -- or is it solid black?

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

wrefakis

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 30, 2018, 02:14:51 PM
Laurie, My '70 sales brochure is downstairs and I don't want to fight the cats to not follow me. So I hauled out the '69 that was in a drawer right behind me. It shows that there is chrome outlining the tops of the side windows. And the Brougham with a vinyl top has a chrome bead around the bottom of the top.
These are artists drawings so they might have changed things. But maybe this will help until the '70 experts chime in.
We're all hoping that not too much metal has gone on the Ark. Best of luck. You might go on line and see if you can find a page with 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and get all the different colored pictures. Nix all this and see below:

Type in 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, google it, and go down to "notorious luxury." Go past the Cornisch convertible and you'll find one with your color ? with a white top. Keep going until you find the black one. Keep scrolling down until you find a closeup of what you need to know.

Simply *KILLER* Barry, thank you. I've been to that site so many times and never really 'looked' I guess. Anyone else notice the blue and aqua Fleetwoods have the wrong hubcaps? The black one gave me a good look at how they painted the trim around the roof. And it, like some others, has a tuxedo roof, not the cross grain. So I'm feeling a lot better about saving that money.
Awesome Barry, THANK YOU.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on October 30, 2018, 06:22:42 PM
Hi Laurie,
I have a 1970 Fleetwood Brougham (Cotillion White, White Vinyl Roof, Red Leather) which I have owned since 1984, and drove as an everyday car from 1989 through 2000.

The halo vinyl roof mouldings consist of the following:  Stainless moulding across the front, stainless moulding fore and aft along each roof rail, stainless moulding down the leading edge of the "C" pillar and across the "C" pillar base, and stainless moulding across the rear lower edge.  At each corner is a die-cast chrome piece with interlocking tabs to engage the stainless mouldings.

As to finish, part of the bright mouldings, both on the stainless pieces and on the die-cast corners, were painted out using paint to match the color of the vinyl roof.  The character line in the mouldings delineates the painted portion, and the part that was left bright.  This gave the illusion of a delicate, jewel-like bright moulding, while affording the added strength of a wider, thicker moulding.  This trick, in combination with the "halo" roof treatment, de-emphasized the added height of the Fleetwood roofline.

-Charles Fares

PRICELESS info Charles, THANK YOU!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: wrefakis on October 30, 2018, 07:46:46 PM
rear window

GREAT photos, THANK YOU. Its looks like a flat black paint???
Another tuxedo roof too!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! THANK YOU!

I got some PITA painting to do I guess... unless its part of the $1500 roof/headliner installation which I doubt.

THANK YOU!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Scot Minesinger

The DeVille has a metal trim painted to match vinyl top color with a vinyl grain stamped into it that separates the vinyl top from painted metal body color that forms the halo.  Crazy that Cadillac would make this sutler difference between the Fleetwood and DeVille halo top border.  I know they did a similar treatment on body side moldings too. 

Expensive detail, but guess that is why Cadillac was the undisputed American luxury car leader (in terms of sales volume and status) in 1970 (and other surrounding years) and took care of those details.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on October 31, 2018, 10:15:46 AM
The DeVille has a metal trim painted to match vinyl top color with a vinyl grain stamped into it that separates the vinyl top from painted metal body color that forms the halo.  Crazy that Cadillac would make this sutler difference between the Fleetwood and DeVille halo top border.  I know they did a similar treatment on body side moldings too. 

Expensive detail, but guess that is why Cadillac was the undisputed American luxury car leader (in terms of sales volume and status) in 1970 (and other surrounding years) and took care of those details.

Scot, just look at our grilles, and compare them to the cheap one piece stamped sheet aluminum on almost all other cars of the period. That shows the quality of materials and craftsmanship that went into our cars compared to most others back then.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike