News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle 5019 Vent Window Frames

Started by 39LaSalleDriver, October 31, 2018, 03:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

39LaSalleDriver

Another project I have been working on is replacing the rubber seals which had mummified, and vent window glass which has delaminated on my car. Got all the rubber from Steele, got new glass from Sanders and so forth. Figured I'd do them one at a time so I pulled the drivers side and got into a real mess.

Turns out the lower half of the window frame (which holds the regulator and screws into the door) had rotted out to the point of being largely useless. It would appear the passenger side is also in a sad state. Instead of coming here and seeing if anyone had any laying around that I could buy, I cooked up a plan to replace the u-channel on the lower half by cutting the good part off and fabricating the whole lower end. I won't bore everyone with the ugly details, but hours and hours later, and with many modifications, I finally got something pieced together that is functional...it ain't pretty if you were to see inside the door frame...but it's functional. It doesn't quite fit in as well as it should, though I can live with it "as is" for the time being.

I don't know that I want to go through on the passenger side what I did on the drivers side. With that in mind, can anyone verify if these cars had the exact same frame so I can widen my search and get a factory one in good shape to do the job right? It looks to me like the following should work:

1939/40 Buick Century (both 2 door and 4 door)
1939/40 Buick Special (both 2 door and 4 door)
1939 Cadillac Series 61 (both 2 door and 4 door)
1939/40 Oldsmobile Series 70 (both 2 door and 4 door)
1939 Oldsmobile Series 80 (both 2 door and 4 door)

I'll probably go ahead and buy ones for both sides if I can find them and redo the mess I ended up making.

As always, thanks for the help.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jon, I think you are right on. And add both closed coupes and the same bodied Pontiacs. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Also add the 40- 50 series.  If it was 52 series I could help you.  There should be some parts out there from anyone who has parted out one of these cars.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

39LaSalleDriver

Thanks Barry and Brad. I thought I was on the right track but since I don't have any source which shows me parts interchanges I wasn't sure.

Hopefully I can get something turned up soon so I can get this project checked off my list.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019