News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Transmission

Started by cadillac91, November 03, 2018, 09:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac91

1976 Sedan DeVille:  Transmission got hot because fluid was too low.  Put fluid in.  Now it will move some forward, then not go again when I stop, until I shut it off, then it will move for a little until I stop again.  The dip stick not shows way over full, but I know I did not add that much.

The Tassie Devil(le)

This transmission is a basic TH400, so if you have the correct amount of oil in there, and it doesn't operate, then it is time for a rebuild.

The oil getting too hot will burn the bands, and once burnt, cannot be resurrected with new oil.

Any Trans shop will be able to handle the task.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You did put in Dexron 3 or greater?   Type AF, for Fords will kill what is left in the life of the trans.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

savemy67

Hello cadillac91,

It takes just a few seconds for a running transmission, low on fluid, to burn clutches and bands.  Did you have a chance to examine the fluid before you added new fluid?  Dark red or brown fluid, with a burnt odor, would be a good indication of burnt clutches and bands (see attached photo).

If any friction material was sloughed off, it may have found its way to interfere with valve action and small fluid orifices.  This can all happen in less time than it takes for you to put the car in Park, get out of the car, and open the hood.

The good news, as Bruce implies, is that you should be able to find a shop that can repair or rebuild the transmission.  It is similar to later GM 700R4 and 4L60/80 transmissions (albeit without electronics).  Given that your transmission is 42 years old, if the fluid looks and smells burnt, you should probably consider having it rebuilt.  The bad news is that it will cost between $2000 and $3000, because most shops will replace components that do not need to be replaced so the shop can avoid any possible warranty claims.  If you are up for it, you can do it yourself for under $500.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

35-709

You can also save a few hundred bucks if you have the capability of removing the transmission yourself and transporting it to the trans. shop and then reinstalling it yourself.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2