News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LaSalle maintenance manual for 1939

Started by LaSalle5019, November 07, 2018, 07:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaSalle5019

I have this 130 page manual and must say that it is pretty lame.  The maintenance manual for my 1923 Studebaker, which is a much less complex car, is 4 times the size and a lot more detailed.  Is there something better out there for this car?  I can't believe the GM service departments only had this to go from.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Scott

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Sorry, but that's it. Cadillac service men were expected to "know" what was what relative to the cars that they worked on year after year. (They were also generally long time employees and so were expert at their jobs.) Many times, if something did not change from a previous year, that was not covered in the new issue. What is the problem you are commenting about? Perhaps someone on the Forum can help you with your problem.

There are several years when the "following" year was actually called a "supplement" to the previous year's shop manual. As in 1946. That year's book only covered what was new for 1946, and mechanics were expected to refer to their copy of the 1942 manual.

I just checked and a re-print of the 1937-38 shop manual has 222 pages.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

harvey b

Did they have the monthly serviceman bulletins then?,they covered new problems as they came up, i see them on ebay from time to time. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Harvey, you are correct. They had a great dealer network and problems that came up were mentioned, (usually with a fix) in an upcoming article as soon as possible.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

LaSalle5019

Interesting. Maybe I'll pick up an earlier manual to supplement what I have.  I don't have anything really specific at this time but it is nice to have procedures when something comes up.  I may end up doing a valve job this winter, we'll see if it's needed.  I'll definitely use the forum for help.  Thank you for the replies.
Scott