News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LED Headlights

Started by Steve Rinaldo, November 12, 2018, 07:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

I tried to search info about 6 volt led headlight bulbs for my 1937-60 and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any info on these bulbs. Thanks, Steve

Steve Passmore

Good luck with that Steve. Can't imagine the demand to warrant production for that fitting.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

39LaSalleDriver

I've looked into this quite a bit for my 39-50 and thus far, there doesn't seem to be anything commercially available yet that I can find. I did find a company called https://vintagecarleds.com/ which makes some rather pricey 12v LED headlamps with a filter to make them look like incandescent bulbs, but they don't make them for 6v. Several months ago I spoke to a guy at the company and he supposedly put my name on a list of people interested in a 6v model, but have never heard anything from them since.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

carlhungness

carlhungness

Hi:Try Paul Goff website www.norbsa02.freeuk.com  e mail norbsa02@aol.com telephone United Kingdom 01494 868 218. He supplies LED's for British motorcycle and speaks fluent bulbs. I know he has 6 volt and possibly something that will work in your '37. Personally, I am going to 12 volts and just saw a Jeep with 7" headlights, so I am optomistic I can get something to fit my headlight buckets.

Steve Rinaldo

J. Gomez

Quote from: Steve Rinaldo on November 12, 2018, 07:25:27 AM
I tried to search info about 6 volt led headlight bulbs for my 1937-60 and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any info on these bulbs. Thanks, Steve

The first question would be, are you planning on replacing the current P15d30 socket for the #2336 bulb?

You will not be able to find LED lights of any voltage for that type of socket.

If you plan on modifying the headlamp socket to accept the current LEDs lamp you could probably add a 6V to 12V converter, not sure if anyone had used one on their 6V cars to power 12V devices.   ???

Since LED use just a fraction of power from the standard incandescent bulbs a 5A converter maybe just work fine for both headlamps for either low beam or high beam but you would need to do the math.

Just an option…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

LaSalle5019

I just updated my '39 LaSalle with some bulbs from Restoration Supply Company (https://www.restorationstuff.com/catalog.html) and am very happy with the results:

Head lights - 6 volt halogen prefocus bulbs (ELE135)
Tail lights - 6 volt LED pos ground (ELE457) - I have dual element tail / stop lights

I was considering the LED pre-focus head light bulbs (ELE449) but decided I like the full spectrum light from the halogen bulbs over the LEDs for the headlights and accepted the added power required over the LEDs. I figured the car was designed for that load and I already decreased total loading with LED tail lights.

Scott

Chris Bryant #19358

Hi Steve,

Try Superbrightleds.com. These chaps seem to have an extremely wide selection. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris Bryant #19358