News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Sixty Two Convertible backup lights

Started by JMOUL, November 13, 2018, 01:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMOUL

With respect to the quad tail lights on a 1958 Series Sixty Two Convertible, is anyone able to confirm if all Series Sixty Two models were produced with the two outer lenses being red and the two inner ones being clear (i.e. backup lights) or if some were produced with all four lenses being red (no backup lights)?  I used to own a 59 Chev wagon that didn’t have backup lights, so wondering if my 58 Caddy could have been produced without them (optional?) or if perhaps a previous owner removed the clear lenses/backup lights for some reason.  Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to get my car through a government inspection process.  Thanks! 

Jim

Skwerly62

No expert here but cannot recall seeing a 58 without them. Maybe the Fleetwood had the backup lights on the trunk lid? Just do an easy check and see if the reverse switch is illuminating one set of lights or check and see if the switch wires are disconnected. IMO it looks better with the red/clear combo.Good luck.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

fishnjim

Since both lenses are the exact same size, I suspect someone changed/replaced them.
Used and repro clear lenses are readily available.
I don't recall seeing or hearing that listed anywhere as an option, but can't say I ever looked for it.   The '58 specifications(free) are on the GMheritagecenter.com archive. (455 pages)  They have the bulb info was well, so it would have to show an optional stop light bulb #for back up red to be "valid".   I would suspect the part list would also show something, if optional.   

Jon S

Back up lights were standard auto 1958 Cadillacs.  Yes as pointed out the Fleetwood was the only model with 4 red taillights and back up lights in the trunk.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

JMOUL

Great, thanks to all for your input.  Much appreciated!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hopefully the inboard lamps weren't rewired to make them operate as parking/stop/directional lamps. If the inner lights come on only when the transmission is placed in reverse, you should be good to go once the lenses are swapped with correct clear ones.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute