News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 dash

Started by 60eldo, November 13, 2018, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I need to remove my speedometer cause the odometer is not moving, so I purchased another unit. Do I have to take the dashboard off to do this? Also has anyone changed the #s on tho odometer , mine says 63000 miles and the new one says 84000, Id like to roll it back.
Jon. Kluczynski

MY 59

did this in my 59 as the unit it came with gave up on life
dash pad needs to come up at the very least, I took the whole thing out for ease and access first time, as also replaced fuel gauge, so a fair few things needed to be unplugged and I was just slow and mindful whilst doing so
further works (bulbs etc) I did propping the dash pad up with wooden blocks so I could squeeze my hands in

make sure to remove selector indicator first so as not to snap or damage it, and if doing by just raising the dash just ensure no undue strain is placed on wiring, if so unhook as needed
by memory my cruise cluster and light switch I needed to unplug as the wiring harness seemed tight in that area

David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

The Tassie Devil(le)

And don't forget to undo the Trip Meter adjusting cable.

I had to take the dash cover off my '60 to access the gauge panel, but seeing as it was RHD, it wasn't that hard to do.   When they made the conversion, they constructed the cover out of Fibreglass and decided to make removal simple.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Skwerly62

I just yanked my dash out to repair the cracks and refurb the cluster while it’s out. I’d be happy to forward pics if you still need any visual reference.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

60eldo

Yes thanks, I posted this mid Nov. Im done now , I think It just takes patients. Im an expert now. All done, I filled in the cracks on dash, painted it, new bulbs, put in a good used speedo,,looks good
Jon. Kluczynski

Skwerly62

Glad to hear, just curious what you used to fill in the cracks. I know what type of paint to use. Cheers!
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

59-in-pieces

I know it's more than a little late after the work is done.
But, the studs and serrated washer nuts are often very rusty.
If so the studs can snap easily, when you try to loosen and remove the nuts.
WD40 them to avoid breaking them - careful with the spray (paint brush is best) to avoid runs and stains behind the scenes.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

Leatherique makes a great dyeable, flexible crack filler.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

59-in-pieces

David,
Although I have never used that product - and never on a Cadillac, I have used another similar product on other vinyl dash caps/pads that had a pattern in the vinyl.

When I did a repair, I used a scrap of the pad to act to emboss the patching material - before it dried - to match the patch in the surrounding vinyl pattern.
Voila, the patch disappears - prep, the whole pad, paint it all, and done.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher