News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Notorious online trading venue 😳

Started by V63, November 17, 2018, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

I havnt used (as a seller) the notorious trading ‘port’ (without naming names) in a while. It seems they are continually aiming to ruin it even better.

Specifically, I want no part of their ‘pay buddy’ system, buying or selling,  but it seems there is no longer a work around for that?

Scot Minesinger

Thankfully I have not used it in a while.  Sold two cars last month at Carmax.  Drive in and in an hour you deposit the check they give on mobile phone app and Uber home.  It has really gone down hill.  Bidding is OK for a car, but not a light lens - I want it now, not in two weeks.  Hopefully, will not have to going forward.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jim Stamper

I don't know the beef of the above, but if I can open an email from India asking for pictures of a 48 Pontiac owner manual I had for sale on AACA. I sent him pictures and get a notice from PP at 10:00 that I have been paid. Two hours to sell something on the opposite side of the planet and be paid for it is remarkable to me. So far I have had zero complaint or expense with PP.

I take credit cards in my business, there is a charge, always has been a charge and likely always be, for handling that banking business. I have paid up to 5% merchant fees to banks at times.( Alaska)  PP is a gift to the hobbiest who needs to sell or buy something,  IMO      Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Dan LeBlanc

What I hate as a seller is their shipping calculator .

Just sold an E&G Classics grill to a chap in California.  Had the box dimensions a little larger and heavier than what it turned out to be when I shipped it.  Trying to be conservative, right?  Well, their wonderful shipping calculator calculated FedEx ground shipment at $27 and change.  Actual charge turned out to be $92 and change.  Not sure how they think you can ship something from Maine to California for that.  I couldn't even ship it 90 miles south in Maine for that price.

So, I have to take that one on the chin.

Thanks "notorious online trading venue."
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dan...I usually simply enter a fixed shipping price with the stipulation that any excess charges will be refunded to the buyer.

Jim Stamper... thanks for sharing your perspectives. There is little question eBay offers an effective and relatively efficient platform for buying & selling, the criticisms notwithstanding.

We can always find something to complain about in almost every field of human activity.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

If your personal illusion of PP is  ‘safe’ and secure that’s really great. I had that too until victim of a significant amount. I have just cause for not wanting to participate. But beside that, my ‘complaint’  here is not having ANY choice! 

Hypothetically, It would be like showing up at Hershey with a new rule that all participants, entrants and transactions must use PP, (of coarse for everyone's ‘safety’).  Some folks would be just fine with that. But some might find issue with the lack of freedom of choice to trade as they choose.

EB  ‘used’ to be such a great venue...many of its offerings discussed here, such topics have dwindled to nary a mention.

A lot of good ‘junk’ would trade on EB and now a lot of people would find it easier to just throw it away.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Personally, I only have my PP account linked to a checking account which has a relatively small balance.

The "information age" has created a new breed of criminal and sadly such occurances are not just limited to PP activity.

I sorry to hear you were the victim of financial fraud. Were you ever able to get it resolved? 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute