News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vintage glass availability ?

Started by TJ Hopland, November 19, 2018, 10:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Talking about tires and other parts for older cars got me wondering how or why is glass generally available?    Is glass that much easier to make than metal parts?   Or I have I just been lucky when I have needed it and found it and people don't complain about not being able to find it very often?    Seems like it would be similar to sheet metal where it was rare for one part to interchange very many models or years so its not like a tire where one model may fit lots of brands and models. 

Anyone know about the auto glass industry?  Seems like it would have to be interesting especially when it comes to the manufacturing and logistics of safely transporting it around the world. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

BJM

I agree TJ, and sometimes topics like this would make great SS articles. I believe the SS is well edited and the content is great, so that's not an issue.  But, wouldn't it be great to assign a spread every once in a while to a topic like Glass?  Who are the "Cokers" of glass?  What goes into it's manufacture?  Flat glass, curved glass availability?   

How many times have you heard from a CL ad "the glass is broken, but it's all flat glass so it's easy to replace".  Is it?  I can't see the guy that did my glass shelves for my dining room hutch saying sure I'll cut your flat glass!   So where does it come from? 

And on and on.  Having a SS 4-5 page question and answer with a glass authority with a photo essay visit to their shop would be helpful.  When I subscribed to Hemmings Classic Cars, they did something similar each month with one of their advertisers, which was a win-win scenario for readers and hobbyists. 

35-709

Flat automobile correct glass is available from just about any auto glass shop.  Recently did a complete new glass installation on my 1950 Jaguar sedan from a local auto glass shop.  Best to have the old glass for a pattern --- curved glass windshields and side glass (except maybe for an older ambulance/hearse w.shield) is as close as a Google search. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

BJM

Quote from: 35-709 on November 19, 2018, 01:13:27 PM
Flat automobile correct glass is available from just about any auto glass shop.  Recently did a complete new glass installation on my 1950 Jaguar sedan from a local auto glass shop.  Best to have the old glass for a pattern --- curved glass windshields and side glass (except maybe for an older ambulance/hearse w.shield) is as close as a Google search.

What do they do with it though?  I just had a new windshield put in my 2000 Eldorado, and I used a local Safelite Glass Shop, a well known brand.  I can't imagine taking a piece of flat glass in there for them to make a new one.  It seems like they are only in it for modern cars. 

35-709

What do they do with it?  You take your old flat glass from your car for a pattern to your auto glass man (I used American Auto Glass) and he takes a new piece of automobile spec. "safety" glass from his stock and cuts you out a new one using the old as a pattern.  Don't have an old one for a pattern?  Then you have to make him one out of cardboard or the like, better be accurate!  Actually, if I had to do that, I would have them come to my car to make their own pattern (or take the car to them if possible), then the onus is on them.
Also --- again with a Google search --- there are companies that specialize in classic and antique auto glass all made up and ready to ship to you.  For my '35 Cadillac I got a complete set from an outfit somewhere in Georgia, ready to install.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Tom Boehm

Vendors like Pilkington have factory patterns for what seems like all cars that use flat glass.