News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Roy Schneider Books

Started by BJM, November 19, 2018, 03:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I went in on Amazon to see about buying a Schneider book. 

Cadillac of the Sixties   $1250.00

Cadillac of the Forties   $311 (cheapest) 

Cadillacs 50-59            $121.83

Cadillacs of the 40's NEW   only $1453.

BJM

Are these really the definitive books on eras of Cadillacs?   I have heard great things about them but I can not afford $311 for a book. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, I had better sell my copy of Cadillacs of the Sixties for that price.   I would even offer free postage.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'll include a surf & turf dinner.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

When I bought my 60 convertible, I purchased it from the widow of a good friend in our local CLC region.  I helped her dispose of two other collector cars that she and her husband owned.  Every time I went over to visit or do something with the other cars, Carol gave me a shopping bag with some more of Don's "car stuff".

Included were lats of books including the Schneider books, Cadillacs of the 40's, 50's and 60's.

I remembered thinking that these books really were just republished pages from the showroom data books for each year.  I have not looked at the books for a few years so I may be incorrect, but I really cannot believe what these books are worth.  If you have a specific year, I think you might be better off looking for your year data book to come up for sale.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

BJM

If I had to choose, it would be Cadillacs of the Forties as I am considering purchasing a couple and there was a lot of change from 1940 to 1949.  Interesting era.  But no way at $311 minimum.  To be perfectly honest, I would pay $75 for this book based on it's reputation as a good reference.

I don't normally spend that much but I am also into Granger Railroad history and will pay $50 for a hard to find book there, so $75 does not seem bad. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

I purchased my copies of Cadillacs 1950 to 1959 and Cadillacs of the Sixties from a Cadillac Dealer in California when I was there in 2002.

There was only these two copies left on the shelf in their Parts Department, and I was happy to pay for them at what I call a bargain price.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
I'll sell my copy of Cadillac's of the 40's for $250 plus shipping. I bought it from Roy personally. It's is mint condition.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: BJM on November 19, 2018, 08:49:18 PM
If I had to choose, it would be Cadillacs of the Forties as I am considering purchasing a couple and there was a lot of change from 1940 to 1949.  Interesting era.  But no way at $311 minimum.  To be perfectly honest, I would pay $75 for this book based on it's reputation as a good reference.

I don't normally spend that much but I am also into Granger Railroad history and will pay $50 for a hard to find book there, so $75 does not seem bad.
Bryan,
I would REALLY like to see you actually SELLING an item on this board. It would be VERY interesting to see YOUR price. Would it be dirt cheap & WAY under market?? I'm sure we'd all like to know.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

^^^^^^
Is that necessary?

:o

That's our gruff but loveable Bob!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

BJM

Bob
If that's the going price then I understand.  I am just not that rich.  I don't remember what they were offered for new.  I can't be buying $315 books, 5 weeks before Christmas. 

My wife bought a signed original edition of Richard Langworth's "Kaiser Frazer - Last Onslaught on Detroit" for around $40.  It is my prize possession book wise.  The club historian for KFOCI wrote a nice retrospective book "Built to Better the Best" which I purchased for $60 but before he did a 2nd edition even he was amazed that it was up into the mid $150's on Amazon. 

I mean seriously $1300 for a reference book, no matter how nice? 

BJM

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 19, 2018, 10:28:00 PM
Bryan,
I would REALLY like to see you actually SELLING an item on this board. It would be VERY interesting to see YOUR price. Would it be dirt cheap & WAY under market?? I'm sure we'd all like to know.
Bob

Bob
I have GIVEN away well over $1000 in automobile and railroad reference books to 1/2 Price Book Stores because I didn't want to mess around with their lowball offer.  I just said take them.  "Are you sure"? 

I have the 1st ever Collectible Automobile magazine Edition 1, and about 25 others.  I can't give them away. Actually I did, I gave some and some nice Buick Sales Brochures to a fellow in Indiana and said pay me for postage and he never did. 

Would it not be better for Mr. Schneider to extend his legacy by commissioning a run of another 1000 books or taking orders for said books at cost + profit?  Then to have prospective readers pass because of cost? 

Maurice Hendry's Book has had several editions and I just purchased one for $14. 

chrisntam

Google the author's name and Cadillac and see what comes up...

Watch eBay.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

BJM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0917104013/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

and I just bought a 1st edition for $34.99.  Off Amazon.  Thanks for the hint.  I googled his name and "Cadillacs of the Forties" and it lead me back to Amazon.  Not sure why this was not listed before.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Re: Reissuing books. Just for your general information: Roy is of my generation. (I am 82.) He is also confined to a wheel chair...

The books had far more "other" pictures than ones from Data Books. Otherwise, I would have never known that there were "two-toned" Cadillac convertibles in 1941.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jdemerson

I have all three of Roy Schneider's books (40s, 50s, and 60s) in my collection. I believe I paid between $80 and $100 each and these were originals with hard covers (solid color with gold lettering, dark green, dark blue, and dark orange, respectively). I purchased them within the past five years, and at least one came from McVey's. At some point I acquired an extra copy and eventually sold it to someone on this message board.

The book for the 40s is the best of the three in that it has a lot of original material. The one from the 60s is nice but probably is closer to what is in the data books. In general these are interesting and informativve books, but I would not pay more than $125 for any of them. The early editions (through 2nd edition, 1977) of the Maurice Hendry Cadillac history are excellent sources of tons of interesting (and accurate, I believe) information. From time to time I see one on eBay at a surprisingly low price. The most recent 2-volume set is quite beautiful, but I've spotted too many errors in those volumes.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

BJM

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on November 20, 2018, 08:54:21 AM
Re: Reissuing books. Just for your general information: Roy is of my generation. (I am 82.) He is also confined to a wheel chair...

The books had far more "other" pictures than ones from Data Books. Otherwise, I would have never known that there were "two-toned" Cadillac convertibles in 1941.

Barry
I wanted to walk careful around that subject not knowing Mr. Schneider's current status.  Thank you for updating me.  I hope he has received many accolades for what he did.  And I have not even received the book yet!   But outside of His books, and Hendry's, I don't know of any other Cadillac history books except coffee table books and an occasional photo essay book.

I have the Bonsall Post War book but I just read bits and pieces.  The way Roy did it by breaking it up is the way to do it. 

Thankfully in my opinion, Cadillac helped him out by framing each decade.  In the forties, 1949 would be a logical end because of the innovations, and the 1950 Cadillac was a good start to the next decade which ends with another bang (in styling and direction). 

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting...I have all 3 books; I have them since 20 years, 25 years? Don't remember. At that time, I bought maybe 10 or 15 books 1950-59 and sold them with a small profit. However, never at those prices!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Young

I am not going to approach the question of money exchanging for these books , however I do have definite opinion on their value as reference volumes. In my opinion they are invaluable to the serious Cadillac collector/student as is a book called Cadillac Eldorado by James Howell as it is full of interviews of the men who styled these classic Cadillac's. I would not part with my copies as long as I am alive. One Mans opinion