News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Door Hinge Pins From 1937 LaSalle & Fixing Drooping Door Handle

Started by carlhungness, November 22, 2018, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

Anything I need to know about removing the door hinge pins from my '37 LaSalle? The hinge pins themselves seem to be in surprisingly good condition as there is no up and down play. I need to remove the doors for painting.
      My passenger side door handle sits at a beautiful 90 degree angle while the driver's side handle is drooping badly and seeking advice on restoration. I haven't ever taken apart a door handle and know there is a four sided shaft. Am wondering if the shaft or its attendant mating part wears.

Steve Passmore

Yes, handle parts do wear. I have welded up and re-shaped many.  Door pins are hard because you have to drive them out upwards. Protect your bodywork with some this wood sheet and really beat on them. You might be lucky
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

carlhungness

The doors swing easily and the pins sure do not appear to be worn which is very surprising to me. I'll start the punch work and hope for the best.
Thanks,
Carl H

z3skybolt

Carl,

The exterior door handle on my 40 LaSalle also drooped badly.  The problem was a small coiled spring within the mechanism that returns the handle to level.  I purchased new springs from "Chevys of the 40s" or something like that which did not fit.

Bob Hoffman sold me a box of various door springs for cars of the 30s 40s and 50s.  There were maybe 100 springs in the box.  One fit my LaSalle and solved the problem. If that is your issue and you cannot find a proper spring elsewhere...let me know. I believe that I have one extra.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

carlhungness

Thanks so much, I'll get it apart and look at the shaft and springs.