News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HOSE CLAMPS

Started by nysdarkblue, November 22, 2018, 10:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nysdarkblue

Would some one kindly send me a picture of the correct hose clamp for a 1990 Cadillac Brougham. I know it is a double wire clamp, but mine have a Phillips head on it. I was informed that the hex head was the correct clamp. Thanks!
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

TJ Hopland

I just recently changed what I assume was a factory hose on my 90 Deville and it had philips heads.  I remember thinking that was odd and don't remember noticing it on other stuff with that style of clamps.   I'm assuming it was a factory hose because of the GM part numbers and the fact that the clamps were held to the hose with staples which was where the leak was.  I know that wasn't the exact question and a different model but maybe if no one else knows for sure will at least help a little bit knowing that there was at least one other 90 out there that had those clamps on it. 

Is it possible that it was a AC Delco replacement hose?  Did those ever come with the clamp stapled on?  I'm thinking I only ever saw that on factory stuff but I wasn't usually a go to the dealer for parts sort of person.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

nysdarkblue

Thanks, but I think the original clamps on the Brougham were hex heads. A friend of mine says he has the originals on his which are hex heads. Just looking for an expert opinion.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

fishnjim

If not in the authentication manual, then need to ask a concours judge to referee.   About the only other way to tell, is get the 1990 part number and trace but likely superceded.   Frankly, I don't think it matters but not my call, more important the right type, ie wire, not a screw or spring clamp.   You might be able to just replace the fasteners, if it worries you, ie have both.
That's too fine detail and these general replacement type parts change over time.  eg; You don't ask for OEM studs & lug nuts, you use new ones of the right size.   Once NOS is gone, what was factory available maybe was replaced by another or later anyway.   The factory didn't keep good track of smalls.   They bought on lots/specs/drawings/catalog cuts.   Clamps sell by hose size, not model year.   Parts suppliers try to consolidate as many as possible to reduce inventory.   I never find any literature on these type small items, except light bulbs, so you can't even look them up, only compare to documented cars and who knows where they've been.   At best you find a picture in a shop manual.

Jason Edge

There seems to be an implication here that there is never any variation during a particular production model year. For the 1963/64 Cadillacs that I specialize in (and having completely dismantled 49), I could write volumes on different items, including clamps, that varied throughout a particular production model year, or where you may have different parts intermittently and interchangeably used.  Perhaps by 1990 they had this down to a science and all parts used in the production of a car were exactly the same but I doubt it.  I will just offer the suggestion, coming from someone that has a keen insight into at least a prior year, that perhaps both types of clamps were used for this particular model year. 

Throughout the course of a production run things change, suppliers change, designs change, and things like clamps may change. Some of this is documented (e.g. Seviceman Bulletins, Master Parts Book entries with notes to use a different part # when one is exhausted, etc.), however, many smaller less significant items are not documented in available literature.  I have seen enough of the 1963/64 Cadillac large carb to brake booster vacuum hoses with both Single Wire Corbin clamp and Spring Clamp from unmolested donor parts cars, to know they were both used. I am always amused when someone has an original example of one, or maybe two or three, and they step up and state matter-of-factly, this is the correct part for such and such production year.  Based on that sample of one, they have no doubt this specific part was used on the entire production line of 150,000, 250,000 or however many cars produced during an 11 month production span for that particular model year.

The best we can do in terms of determining what was original, is to gather data from as many samples as possible and keep a very open mind.  I've been pulling the 63/64's parts for 22 years, and what I know now is vastly broader and more complex than what I knew say after I had dismantled my 1sts couple of parts cars. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Scot Minesinger

Jason is right, but by 1990 things became more uniform in manufacturing. 

Be careful chasing this one and other issues like it down.  If there is a 1990 authenticity manual then that would be the very best guide. If not, you could be subject to the judge at the time and they are not infallible.  It is a shame to replace a perfectly good clamp for the perceived correct one that may in fact not be and risk a coolant system issue on a system that is already operational and reliable.  For my 1970 Cadillac the "correct" tower clamps (wire on upper radiator hose inlet) are inferior and I cannot use them on a car that is driven over 3k miles per year mainly during the summer.

Enjoy your Cadillac and make it reliable.

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

nysdarkblue

Thanks all! That was one of the items I got hit up on at this years Grand National. Interesting, the JUDGE that pointed it out could not have been more than 30. Anyway, I have my work cut out for me in Kentucky. Thanks again for the responses.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

Jason Edge

Bill, I did not see a CLC membership number next to your name and assumed you were not a CLC member. As a CLC member, you have the International Directory at your disposal to reach out to other 1990 Brougham owners regarding this particular model year and body style. Taking a quick glance at the 2019 directory, it looks like we have 70+ members with a 1990 Brougham.   
Also, as a Director of a CLC  Chapter (1963/64 Cadillac), I also have to stress the point that questions like this are where a Chapter with concentration on a particular model year/body style can be extremely helpful. There is a Fleetwood and Brougham Chapter that just formed back in 2016 that you might look into joining if not already a member. They have a website at http://fleetwood.cadillaclasalleclub.org/  As they say, there is power in numbers.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Joe G 12138

Scott M: FYI.... the 1970 Master Parts Book lists the worm gear type as that used on 1949-1970 V-8's. (Including 1970) I wish I could pull it out to post it, but it's still buried after my move.     Not that it really matters; but an interesting bit of trivia.    Joe Gibeault

nysdarkblue

Thx Jason, I am a member of the CLC. Why my number isn't popping up, behooves me. My cars aren't showing as well. As far as the FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM CHAPTER is concerned, I tried joining 2x already, never got a response. I recently tried joining last week and again haven't heard anything. I guess my only option left is call by phone, because joining on the internet isn't working.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

Jason Edge

Bill, Might try sending Director Nick Manole an email to nmanole@aol.com per contact info if phone doesn't work.   Many people, including myself, will respond to emails better than phone calls. He might be in the same camp.
As far as displaying your CLC #, if you click on Profile in the header, then forum Profile in the drop down menu, there is a place for CLC number along with other info to display.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

nysdarkblue

Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: nysdarkblue on December 11, 2018, 11:33:37 AM
Thanks all! That was one of the items I got hit up on at this years Grand National. Interesting, the JUDGE that pointed it out could not have been more than 30. Anyway, I have my work cut out for me in Kentucky. Thanks again for the responses.
As a side note here, age doesn't always = expertise :)  My 18 yr old son can tell you almost every single bolt/part on 65-66 Cadillacs.  He drives a '65 Eldo.  I gave him some pop-quizzes at a few Grand Nationals and he nailed it.  Frame up resto, and parted out many cars, not just Cadillacs (been restoring cars with me since 5-6 yrs old).  He's also going to school for 4 yr auto tech degree, and now is passing me in knowledge :D He'll also be an AACA master judge at the next national meet.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

nysdarkblue

I guess your right, my assumption of age shouldn't have been a factor. Its just that the way my car was judged really put a thorn in me. I need to make my car as correct as possible for Kentucky.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX