News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac power brake booster

Started by Cruncher Block, November 24, 2018, 10:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruncher Block

Does anyone have a picture or can describe the mounting of the Hydrovac power brake booster on a 1953 Cadillac? I know it mounts down in the left fender along side the frame. When the car came to me, it was hanging off a sheet metal bracket attached to the backside of the inner fenderwell. That seems like a lot of weight to be hanging off the fenderwell sheetmetal and not attached to something more solid like the frame. Any suggestions? Thanks.

k8096

You're missing one bracket.  There's also one that mounts on the inner fender well.   

J Gehring

Cruncher Block

Thank you! Mine was mounted (questionably) way done low in the fender, toward the base of the antennae. This looks far more legit.

Caddieman53

As no 53 Cadillac left the factory with power brakes until 1954, GM offered a retrofit option on the 53's dealer installed. So I'm sure the booster installation varied some depending on who installed it. I think I saw a photo of a 53 without the Autronic Eye option with the booster mounted on the left inner fender where the Autronic Eye control box would have been mounted. Not positive though.

Paul
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

k8096

Remember, no 1953 came new with the hyrdovac unit.   They first appeared on Cadillac in 1954.  Cadillac had a kit the dealers installed to retro fit them.  Some may have been installed in a more workman like manner than others.  Did your car have windshield washers originally?  Mine did, but they instaslled the hydrovac unit where the washer bottle was, so I don't have the bottle anymore.     
J Gehring

Cruncher Block

Okay, that explains some things. I just looked at mine and the washer bottle is installed where your Hydrovac unit is mounted.