News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

lead work on 58 eldorado

Started by Caddyrag67, November 24, 2018, 05:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyrag67

I was wondering if any of you guys that have 58 eldorado's have a lot of lead work pretty much from the rear quarter panels all the way around where the trunk lips are and on the lower panel where the bumpers and license bumper go it seems a lot more than normal on my car and I was curious if it was common for the 58 I know that lead was used all the way up until the early sixties before plastic filler and they used it on where the two panels would meet up on the roof to pillar joints.
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1952 Series 62  Convertible
1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille
1967 Coupe Deville Convertible

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There was quite a bit of lead work on the Eldorado
bodies starting with the 1955 series.  They basically
grafted the rear quarters onto a standard front end.

Since the numbers produced were relatively small, this
was done in a separate part of the Clark Avenue plant.
I had a copy of a photo showing guys working on six
55/56 Eldorados and putting the finishing touches on
the lead work prior to paint. 

These cars were like a custom build.

I've looked all over but can't find that pic anywhere.  If
somebody has a copy please post it!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Caddyrag67

That's good to know I pretty much have lead right where the fins are all the way around down where the rear tail lights are and that whole entire rear panel for the license frame bumper goes and then around the entire rear weather strip for the trunk that is all leaded to including gs door. looks like im going to be doing alot of lead work to replace the old stuff
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille

V63

I’m sure I’ll get flack on this one 😳

but plastic filler is superior to lead! You can always tell where the lead work is on an older job. It also does not hold the finish as well. 1958 Eldorado Brougham’s had a lot of lead work and their paint jobs looked like an aerial map of the Grand Canyon after a few years.

I wouldn’t dig out lead that’s intact...but I sure wouldn’t heasitate replacing it with plastic if it needs to be replaced.

I wouldn’t even get into the horrific cost difference.

Caddyrag67

as long as you heat properly and neutralise the acid from tinning properly it will last forever also better with flexing. plus i has a bunch in stock so ill be using lead. i totally understand what u mean about plastic though.  i would use that in areas that dont flex as much or around doors that are constantly slaming
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille