News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Convertible sun visors

Started by Bronze, November 25, 2018, 11:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronze

Hi Guys,
My convertible is missing the sun visors altogether. From extensive checking on the net i understand that these pieces are like gold dust. Only thing i found is newly made brackets at $700 a pair which is just too much for me. Question is if there are any short cuts? Not necessarily 100% true to original, but workable. Anything cheaper that can be made to fit?
/Martin

Roger Zimmermann

As you probably know, the sun visor brackets also are locating the roof's pins and the closing mechanism grabs at the brackets too. I may imagine that reproducing those parts is costly.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bronze

Thanks for the reply Roger. No i did not know that, but that explains to me why the part is specific to the convertible, I was thinking that it was pretty stupid to make the visors different to that from the other models. Now wondering if a "Normal" visor bracket could be modded. :)

Roger Zimmermann

No. Not possible. Sorry, it's too cold now to go to my shop; maybe others could do a picture from that bracket, you will understand why.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Fleetwood

Hi Martin,

I have a RH '54-'55-'56 convertible sun visor bracket/pivot and sunvisor. PM sent.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Bronze

Big thanks to Charles for helping out with the RH sun visor and bracket!  Arrived last week looking really good.
Now...anyone out there with a LH bracket and possibly sun visor?? :D

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I would bet that 1954-55-56 Buick Super/Roadmaster and Olds 98 parts would be the same. GM isn't THAT make specific. Try Bob's Buick parts. Ditto on sun visors. The pattern will be different, but the innards should be the same.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Cadillac Fleetwood

These visors and brackets "sunshade supports" are unique to the Cadillac and the senior series Buicks (Supers and Roadmasters, models 56 and 76C respectively) The Oldsmobile convertibles were all on the "B" body and the brackets are different. 

Martin, I think the visor and bracket I sent you is for the LH side, so you will now be looking for one for the RH side.  I have attached photos.

Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Charles, you caught me there. I'd forgotten what a 1954 Olds 98 sedan looked like compared to a Super. (That was easier to compare than the open cars. )
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

As far as I know the Oldsmobile 98 was always based on the C-body platform...

Edit: Charles, you are right. Amazing information. A least between '54 and '56 it wasn't a C-body.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Bronze

Hmm, that looks RH to me but it is difficult to visualize in the head...car is away in winter storage will need to go and check. Thanks for alerting me to check!
/Martin

Cadillac Fleetwood

Martin, take a look at my first photo of the bracket. The part number (casting number?) is followed by "LH".

-Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood