News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Steering Wheel

Started by 60eldo, December 13, 2018, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im trying to remove my steering wheel but theres 2 wires that go into the center and I cant figure how they come out. If I cant get them out, I cant get a socket on the nut. This is my start of removing my dash to change my speedometer,,,should be fun, and this was suppose to be the easy part. Any adivice will be welcome on this job.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just had a look at the pictures on my old '60 CDV, and I have a clear picture of the column with the wire removed.

I think that it is simply pushed into the centre and a brass wiring plug is on the end of the wire.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60eldo

Ya I just sprayed it with some WD and I got it out. You are right, its just kinda slides in,,,thanks. Now to take out this dash. Im glad its winter and I have lots of time.
Jon. Kluczynski

David Greenburg

It’s not necessary to remove the wheel in order to remove the dash, although you do need to lower the column (and be sure to remove the shift pointer before doing so). 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special