News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'58 electrical?

Started by fishnjim, December 08, 2018, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Is it just my bifocaled eyes or are there no fused leads off the ignition switch?   

Electrical diagram doesn't show any, that I could see.   Those little lines get harder to trace each year. 
I was wiring up the electric choke for the new tripower, and could only see the hot wire for the coil off the key switch.   So I ran an inline fused lead off the hot side of the coil for now, until I can study further.  I can pop the fuse if it's an issue.  Not sure how much total amp draw now on this old feed wire as it feeds the resister for the starter also.   I'm running Pertronix electronic ignition and their high power coil.   
I'm real nervous with old wiring.   It's designed wrong, brittle, and breaks easy and can short.   I took a broken piece out for the starter and it snapped in two.   I replaced everything outside the fire wall.   
I don't suspect it'll be a problem, temporarily, but I don't like it.   I'd have to run a relay and a separate feed and don't have those parts handy.   I'm trying to get all the engine connections buttoned up before I put the radiator support in, and that was the last.   It's much easier to work in there while out.   
Anyone see issues or know a better way?   Don't have to holler, I can still hear.

bcroe

Good work replacing the bad wiring.  Fuses have problems, esp in
this environment, the old glass in line might be the worst.  My
practice is use a fuseable link for critical functions, which apparently
came into use later.  Other stuff can use the newer blade fuses,
these may be mounted in a weather resistant holder.  Connectors,
I pretty much use water resistant.  Bruce Roe

fishnjim

I hear U.   I'll plan on changing this after I get it running.   The harness/fuseblock I was going to use would have this built in, but I'm behind and don't want to start to much more to this one.