News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My new 57 Eldorado seville copper

Started by Frencheldo57, December 09, 2018, 09:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frencheldo57

Frencheldo33

Hello
I’m French, living close to Bordeaux and really pleased to join this forum with this first question to the Cadillac community.
I have recently acquired a 57 Eldo Seville and during the transportation the driver window glass was cracked. Could someone tell me we’re I can purchase a original green one?
Best regards
Best regards
Frencheldo57

59-in-pieces

Marc -......,
Please post several photos of your car - particularly because it is copper.
I have seen brochures and paint chip examples, but have not seen a car or photos of a copper color car.
I have a Biarritz (silver), and when I was looking for a 57, I fell in love with that copper color.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Steve, I may have mentioned... The four door Seville I saw at a GN was in copper. (FYI). I can't remember which and where, but it was some distance away and "on the road," so I saw it for only seconds.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Steve,

Here's a few from my reference files of cars that were for sale as well as the Sedan Seville.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

59-in-pieces

Ralph,
Thanks for the pics - now in my research files.

There is something I like about the exterior and interior colors - they seem to work for me - and admittedly, better than the hum drum silver with black interior, but with a white convert top.

Not a fan of gold turbines - at all.
And what's up with that sedan - the horror!!!!

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Steve,

The ’57 interiors were  special. They featured red, white and black leather combinations plus the three special Eldorado colors: copper metallic, blue metallic and metallic green leather. The copper, blue and green  interiors could be all leather or leather and cloth. The cloth was Versailles Cloth, a smooth iridescent nylon, or Paisley (shown) which feature a black background with metallic copper, blue or green pattern. In addition there was a black and silver Paisley cloth with white leather .The cloth was on pleated areas only.

The Sedan Seville is a topic that was covered here exhaustively some time ago……and we really beat that horse. Briefly, as best as I remember, GM experimental shop built four cars, - Copper, Bahama Blue, black and Silver - by grafting shortened Eldorado rear quarters onto a Sedan de Ville. The interior was sewn in the de Ville style but used Eldorado interior materials. This car had copper leather and Versailles cloth. The cars were used on the ’57 show circuit then given or sold to executives. The rear quarter graft looks very stubby on the shorter de Ville chassis. It may have looked better on the Sixty Special. According to urban  legend the silver and blue cars also still exist in junk yards, but no one has ever produce evidence.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Quentin Hall

Green Laminated glass is readily available at most glass shops. Get the leading edge arrassed. Use the cracked glass as the template so be careful separating it from the frame. Don’t silicone the new one in. There is glazing butyl tape that you put the glass in with a little soapy water.
I’m a 57 Eldo man too. There is an unrestored full option triple copper Biarritz close to me ..... too many projects .... not enough life.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59-in-pieces

Q,
A voice from the paaaaast - and missed.

While you are resting, please take some pics and share with the poor unwashed masses - Seville or Biarritz.

Good to see you can still type - and hows the custom coming along - pics.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Steve, that was just about my reaction. I looked once, then quickly twice, and thought, "That thing had four doors." It does look a little "chubby" with the shorter trunk. Since GM styling had all the parts they needed, one really wonders why they didn't "do it right" with the longer trunk. Very likely the head stylist was out with a cold and his assistant said, "We've spent way too much time and money on these boats. Just do it the way I tell you and "it'll be all right."

But wouldn't it be way cool to have both an Eldo and the Seville sitting in your garage?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

59-in-pieces

Barry,
Yes, it would.
But for now - all things considered, like I don't have the money, I'll settle for my Silver Biarritz.
It would be gr8 to have a silver and gold pair (copper is close, right?), side by side.
But then, I would need another garage.
Barry, now see what you have started, I don't have the money for that either.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David King (kz78hy)

Here are ref. photos of a '58 I took at the GN in Las Vegas.  Currently I am restoring a '55 Eldorado which is copper.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

carguyblack

My local glass shop had the tinted glass in stock for the making of my vent window glass. Previously they had also done the side glass. Looks factory. However, there is no " E Z Eye" print in it anymore. Years ago, I did help a guy do a restoration on a 1957 Biarritz here is Michigan where he replaced the glass with brand new that was manufactured with the E Z Eye etching and even the reproduced date code, I thought. Not sure what company that was but depending on how particular you want to be, the correct glass is still available. Maybe someone else with recent experience can weigh in on that.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Quentin Hall

Get a local sign company to make a scan of your original glass and then print a sticker that you can then gently etch the glass with a small handheld hobby sand blaster available at most auto shops cheap. I did my old 59 Biarritz this way. The LOF symbols and date codes looked factory.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz