News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Fiber optic lights

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, December 10, 2018, 06:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    I need some help with this . Back in the 70's i drove a 1970 Coupe Deville . i can remember looking in the rear view mirror and seeing the rear optic fiber cable lights mounted to the rear of the ceiling  of the car . Two little red lights . i can not remember where they were  mounted for the front  . i have looked a many 1970 cadillac I do not see them on the front outsde  fenders . i am looking to purchase a 1970 Cadillac very soon . i just cant remember where they were on the car .

Thanks ,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

D.Smith

Your memory is off by one year.   Fiber optic lamp monitors were not available in Cadillacs until the 1971 model year.   Oddly Chevy had them available in 1968.

Bill Balkie 24172

i am showing a picture of a 68 Caddy and 67 Caddy fender lights  . Ok they are not fiber Optic . Howver my question remains the same . Where are these lights located on a 1970 cadillac and did they also have indicater lights for the rear

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

I’ve never seen a 70 with the fiber optic tell tale lights.
My 71 Eldo has them on the front fenders and one in the rear for the tail lights.

I don’t think you are going to find a 70 with these.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Balkie 24172

Brian ,
     I agree you wont find a 1970 Cadillac with Fiber Optic tele tale lights .Correct me if i am wrong but i believe in 1960 Cadillac put small little lights in the fender  so the driver could see the turnsignal flashing . They comtinued this up till 1968 .  You can find these tel tale lights on every model up until 1968 Please see the photo . My question is did cadillac stop putting these lights on the 1969 and 1970 models .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes. They are back on the dash as in most other cars.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cadillac Fleetwood

Cadillac introduced the fiber-optic lamp monitor system as optional equipment for the 1971 model year. It somehow became standard in '72, then optional, then standard again. In 1971 and 1972, the rear lamp monitor, made of hard plastic, was mounted to the rear package shelf. Customer complaints about the rear monitor's visibility led to a mid-year change in 1971, adding a 1-inch base to raise it up some.  Beginning with the 1973 model year, the rear lamp monitor was relocated to the ceiling, in a vinyl housing, just above the rear window.

Everyone who commented is correct:  There were no fiber-optic lamp monitors in 1970.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  It is understood the 1970 Cadillac did not have fiber optics .  The cadillacs of the 1960's  had small monitoring lights built into the chrome trim that sat on the top of the fender towards the front of the car . They would flash when the turn signal flashed . They glowed steady when the lights were on . Made it easy for the driver to see both sides . These lights did not use fiber optic cables .  They were pluged into the wire harness .  My question is .... What did Cadillac call this feature ? Were they offered on the 1969 and 70 models .

Sorry for the confusion ,
                   Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Dan LeBlanc

The fender top mounted turn signal indicators were not offered on the 1969 and 1970 models in any trim.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Fender mounted turn signal indicators ran from 1960 - 1968. As another poster noted, these were actual lamps, not fiber optic indicators which are passive light conductors, the purpose being to alert the driver whether a bulb has failed.

For model years (60-68) with fender mounted turn signal indicators (not to be confused with fiber optic indicators), the dash did not have conventional turn signal indicators since it was considered redundant. In 1969, turn signal indicators returned to the dash since they were eliminated from the front fenders.

Dash indicators remained ever since, regardless of whether the car was equipped with fiber optic indicators or not.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Balkie 24172

very interesting
Thank you guys very much
           Fender Mounted turn signals I  always thought were so futuristic in the 1960's Cadillac . Did they continue  in the Eldorado's for 69 and 70 ?  The 1970 Cadillac in my opinion was  the best Cadillac ever made. Good looking Strong and powerful . The front seat was like sitting in your living room . Another feature that Cadillac did away with was the cornering lights . 

Thank you to every one that contibuted  to this subject

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

I love the fender mounted turn signals on my 1960.  However I wish they also included them in the dash display because most of the time you cannot see the right side one.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree, but it is worse in a car that has been converted to RHD as the lenses are positioned for the Left hand driver to see them.   Very difficult to change the alignment for the Right hand driver.

When I had my own '60 CDV, I installed visual flashing lights in the dash cluster.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Four oF NINE

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on December 10, 2018, 05:48:55 PMvery interesting
Thank you guys very much
          Fender Mounted turn signals I  always thought were so futuristic in the 1960's Cadillac . Did they continue  in the Eldorado's for 69 and 70 ?  The 1970 Cadillac in my opinion was  the best Cadillac ever made. Good looking Strong and powerful . The front seat was like sitting in your living room . Another feature that Cadillac did away with was the cornering lights . 

Thank you to every one that contibuted  to this subject

All Cadillac Models Now Feature Front Cornering Lights

https://cadillacsociety.com/2020/03/31/all-cadillac-models-now-feature-front-cornering-lights/

J. Skelly

Did they continue in the Eldorado's for 69 and 70 ? 

No.

[/quote]
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)