News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lifetime Membership Question

Started by BJM, December 15, 2018, 11:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Edge

Quote from: gkhashem on December 21, 2018, 09:49:12 AM
Maybe make it an age requirement and drop the years of membership.

I respectfully disagree completely.  I joined at age 32 and knew I would need to be a member 10 years to be eligible to become a life member.  From that perspective, reaching that goal required a commitment and dedication to the club, and went beyond just a notion of "paid for life". 

If I had just joined the CLC today at age 53, and paid $750 or $1000 to be a Life Member with no other requirement, it would have a very different meaning than how I define Life Member under the existing requirements.  I completely understand that as we get older and into our 70's and 80's reaching the decade membership milestone may not be realistic for some. Same things goes for anything in life. Start a new job at age 70 or take out a 20 year Mortgage, you may not be around to see it thru. That is the reality of life.  That should also not affect the fact that the CLC has offered a program that recognizes committed members that have been a member in good standing for a decade.

In addition, if the CLC suddenly changed the rule and said anyone that is XX years old can become a Life Member, regardless if they have been a member for 1 day or 10 years, and are included in the same list of Life Members as me and the others under the 10 year rule, I would be 1st in line asking for a refund as that is not what Life Member meant to me, nor was it defined as such, when I sent in my check back in 2010.   
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

gkhashem

Quote from: Jason Edge on December 21, 2018, 12:39:15 PM
I respectfully disagree completely.  I joined at age 32 and knew I would need to be a member 10 years to be eligible to become a life member.  From that perspective, reaching that goal required a commitment and dedication to the club, and went beyond just a notion of "paid for life". 

If I had just joined the CLC today at age 53, and paid $750 or $1000 to be a Life Member with no other requirement, it would have a very different meaning than how I define Life Member under the existing requirements.  I completely understand that as we get older and into our 70's and 80's reaching the decade membership milestone may not be realistic for some. Same things goes for anything in life. Start a new job at age 70 or take out a 20 year Mortgage, you may not be around to see it thru. That is the reality of life.  That should also not affect the fact that the CLC has offered a program that recognizes committed members that have been a member in good standing for a decade.

In addition, if the CLC suddenly changed the rule and said anyone that is XX years old can become a Life Member, regardless if they have been a member for 1 day or 10 years, and are included in the same list of Life Members as me and the others under the 10 year rule, I would be 1st in line asking for a refund as that is not what Life Member meant to me, nor was it defined as such, when I sent in my check back in 2010.   

Well as a Board member you have a very closed mind. Your goal should be to formulate a policy that is fair to the members and provides more revenue to the CLC. I do not see how relaxing the rule for older people over 55 say is any slight to you. You decided you were going to keep your membership and did what was good for you financially and became a LM at a young age where you made out, not necessarily good for the CLC.

I thought you joined as a life member since it was good for the club, asking for a refund I guess you are just like me. Considering what is good for you.

Well now I know where you as a board member stand. That's why when you offer a suggestion that may not be the CLC line you get pushed aside like the comment has no merit.

I disagree with you. So let the CLC miss out on some additonal revenue by ignoring all it's members who did not get into the hobby until later in life. It's got nothing to with the reality of life, it got everything to do with maybe increasing CLC revenue, but why consider it? Some people only like the idea they come up with.

My decision to get in later in life was just the way it happened. There are many of us out there who had other obligations more pressing when younger and could not afford a classic Cadillac.

Furthermore the CLC is losing more on your membership at a young age than it would ever lose on someone 55.

I also think the club should say take any member who has been a member for more than 30 years and is over 75 have a free membership for the rest of their lives. Or at least get a discount for being a senior member. Also this would not benefit me,how about that thought?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

harry s

Damnit Art, You always have a knack for saying the right thing. Merry Christmas,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Jason Edge

As noted in a pm to another forum member, I am extremely proud to be a Life Member of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club. It is much more than the money spent, or the fact I do not have to renew or that I receive a Self-Starter for the rest of my life!  It is a commitment to the club, pure and simple.  I also do not agree with the notion that someone can just buy their way into being a Life Member, regardless of age. I feel I paid my dues as a loyal member for 10 years, then stepped up and paid the fee, more as a further investment into the club, and my commitment to be with the club for the long haul.  I would be a bit offended and taken aback if it was suddenly watered down and the decade membership requirement was done away with and someone a bit older with deep pockets could simply become a Life Member. If the CLC wanted to say come up with a Lifetime Subscription that would be one thing, but redefining what I signed up for back in 2010 would probably upset a lot of tenured Life Members.

Just to add, the Lifetime Membership as defined when I joined, was an incentive to me to remain with the club for a decade. The club benefitted in that I always renewed, and I benefitted in that I received all the many benefits of membership.  That's what I call a win-win.

As far the previous comment about my being a Life Member somehow makes me have a hole inside,  …. that's about as opposite from the truth as possible. In fact I find it very satisfying and encourage everyone else that plans to stick around to consider becoming a Life Member when they hit the decade mark.

As a board member, I represent the entire club, and welcome input from everyone. As a life member that went through the process I am sharing my personal opinion and perhaps a different perspective of what Life Member means to me and perhaps others.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

gkhashem

If being on the board and being a lifetime member means something, should the long term health of the CLC be important to you?

Well you would hope so. All I did was suggest that maybe the issue should be reconsidered. More revenue means a more financially sound club. This is what a board member should be doing and as a lifetime member it benefits you since it benefits the CLC.

Now I was thinking this could be a win win for the membership and the CLC. Maybe not, but if 15 people joined what's wrong with the club getting a $15,000 windfall?

But instead we hear about how slighted or cheated you would feel? Why? Did you not get all the benefits you were entitled too? Do you ever have to pay dues again? So why does someone else's benefit which is dubious at age 55 since they may breakeven, lose or win matter to another. You should be thinking outside the box of potential new ways to increase club revenue.

Instead I see someone looking at the issue from a flawed perspective.

If I were on the board my question would be this. At what age did the life members join at on average. If the answer was 42 or something then we have excluded everyone older than that from considering the option. Is this a good result?

Then these opinions without any facts can be discredited and a decision can be made with appropriate information.

Instead everyone wants to be emotional, instead of using some analytics and deeply considering if this may work.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Jason Edge

Quote from: gkhashem on December 22, 2018, 04:07:29 PM
More revenue means a more financially sound club. This is what a board member should be doing and as a lifetime member it benefits you since it benefits the CLC.

I think alternatives such as a "Lifetime Subscription", as I suggested in my previous reply, is a very valid alternative. The problem is when you simply redefine what CLC Life Member means, then you need to consider all those members on Page 18 in your 2019 Directory, and the effort they put forth to become a Life Member.
It's like working at a company for 30 years and getting that gold watch and suddenly they start offering it to a new hire that has been with the company for 1 week. Maybe not the best analogy, but I think you get the point. It was a pleasure to be a member for 10 years, and then send in my $750, but again, that was how Life Member was defined.

There are many other options available to provide for longer term memberships than redefining a CLC institution. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jason Edge on December 22, 2018, 04:18:14 PM
.......It's like working at a company for 30 years and getting that gold watch and suddenly they start offering it to a new hire that has been with the company for 1 week.   
As for the "Gold Watch", that should be given at the start of ones' employment so that the employee can get to work on time and other stuff to do with time.

When I retired, I got a Gold Watch, and it sits in the drawer as I have never worn a watch since I retired.   No need to keep time, etc. as when at work, recording time was an important part of my job.   That Gold Watch, albeit gold plate, was a waste of money.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gkhashem

I am kind of at a loss. So does a lifetime member get any extra benefits? Do they sit at the table up front at the CLC GN?

Are they given any special benefits that another member does not get during the same year of paid up dues? Are they more important than the rest of us "lower level" members?

If so, I guess I am missing something here. The whole concept of lifetime member has one requirement I thought, 10 years of dues paying membership. Plus I notice a page in the annual directory listing them? (see article II section 3 of the by laws) The 10 years also do not say consecutive. They say consecutive on the page listing the members but not in the bylaws. So it looks like I found an error or loophole in the bylaws.

So the bottom line is you bought it. You do not much to earn it but pay for 10 years so you bought it. Please tell me the effort requirement? Just keep your nose clean and pay up for 10 years.

I assume this was done for financial reasons as a way to raise money. It seems not to be any recognition for some CLC contribution. Other than ponying up the greenbacks.

So the whole concept of something special is tenuous at best. Sounds like it's just as special as being listed in Who's who where you pay a fee to get into the club.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

No additional benefits, just the fact that one can indicate that they are a Life Member.

The way I see it with regards to the CLC Life Membership, one has to be a dues-paying Member for 10 years, and after that, they can fork out a lump sum and apply for Life Membership, and never have to pay dues again.

I would surmise that what the Club does with the lump sum is invest it in a long term fund, and gain interest on the said investment, thus receiving income.

Now, if the Life Member passes away before the full value of the Life Membership pro-rata amount is used up on what would be normal dues, then the Club is a winner, but if the Member lives a long and fruitful life, then, hopefully, the interest on that investment covers future costs.

Here in Australia, Life Membership cannot be bought as it is bestowed on long-serving people that are deemed worthy of being granted their Life Membership of their own organisation.

I am lucky enough to have been honoured with Life Membership of my own local Car Club, and I wear that badge with pride.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 22, 2018, 04:53:15 PMThat Gold Watch, albeit gold plate, was a waste of money.
A gold watch is often given to an employee at retirement as a symbolism of the time spent with a company.  People attribute personal value to things differently, and instead of looking at the gold watch  as a token of appreciation, you reference it as a useless time piece. I couldn't help but get a big chuckle from that perspective.  I guess I truly am an emotional bloke when it comes to things like that.  Some people consider a gold retirement watch, degree from a university, or any other recognition or certificate of achievement as a waste. I am the opposite.

I greatly value my degree in Computer Science from North Carolina State University, while some consider degrees as useless pieces of paper. I consider it acknowledgement of accomplishment. 

I greatly value my retirement certificate from the state of North Carolina and signed by our Governor. Again, some might think it is a waste of printed paper, but I consider it one of my life's accomplishments.

Some of you may consider the notion of CLC Life Member as frivolous or worthless, and any personal or emotional value attributed to one's CLC Life Memberships as insignificant. Perhaps to some of you that is true, but for me it is very worthwhile and fulfilling. It is a commitment by me that I enjoy being a part of this club and plan to be a part, regardless of membership costs for the rest of my life.  For some of you this certificate is worthless, but for me I proudly display it in my office.  As they say to each their own.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As Jason has pointed out, being a Lifetime Member of the CLC gets you absolutely NOTHING extra except the magazine. We have no special classes of membership, nor are they treated any differently than anyone else. They simply wished to tender a rather substantial sum of money to show the Board of Directors that they wish to be associated with the Club for the remainder of their life. And that they have already "paid their dues" by being a member for ten years.

I thank them all for their commitment to the CLC. I just scanned the list. I know many of them, most I don't. It has nothing to do with how much benefit you will get over your lifetime. As has been pointed out, it is one of those intangible things that is very important to many of our members. I wish I had had the wherewithal to join their ranks. At my age, I would get little benefit other than the listing once a year in the Directory. So if you are a Life Member, be proud of the fact. If you wish to become one, when you meet the requirements, do so and you can get that quiet satisfaction that you, too, are a believer in the CLC.

And no, you don't get to sit in front at the GN banquet either. That's where MY First Lady and all the other Club First Ladies and their spouses sit.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

Just looking at the lifetime membership in a different perspective.  I only see it from a win-win situation for both member and club NOT as a badge of honor. If those members who make it 10 years and sign up as life members see it that way, great.   The AACA Life Membership notation on their webpage:

Life Membership
One time payment of $700.00 (includes spouse if applicable).
Life members enjoy the same privileges as the annual membership.

Pretty simple with no added comments about why.  Basically, it's an annuity for the club and peace of mind for the member. 

The Kaiser Frazer Club (KFOCI) a small club dedicated to the make, has cancelled their lifetime membership program because so many "original" members used it that the club is hemoragging cash now.  The club is now well under 1000 members and like the USA population - more are passing away versus new "births" as members. 

I just do not get the 10 year rule. I would not even place lifetime members on their own page in the directory.  Just note them in the roster with an * or such.  I think it is a good "gamble" to do away with the 10 year rule and just set an amount to become a life member, like the AACA.

A fair amount of car collectors change course in a lifetime. Many are focused on one make, but also collect Packards or other classic era cars.  When a course is changed, and they are not focused on Cadillacs, they may quit for a few years.  If they choose Life memberships, they are locked in. 

Lots of scenarios of course, but if the 10 year rule is dropped, and it is announced, then perhaps lifetime memberships go up, there is an influx of cash in the club, to be invested. 

druby

The way some of the comments come across is the Lifetime members are more important than a one or two year member, which sorry to say just isn't true. Jason, if you were to request a refund because of a change of a Membership rule, then simply said maybe you might not be a good fit as a board member. You should keep an open mind if this discussion was to ever reach the board for consideration. By you stating that you'll request a refund sounds childish and unsupportive of any discussion. I, myself have been associated with the CLC since 1973, well passed the 10 year requirement, would my feelings be hurt if they changed the ruling, hell no I wouldn't. Lifetime members receive nothing more than I get by renewing every 3 years. If a person is willing to make the payment to become a lifetime member, than so be it. I would say anyone over the age of 55, should be eligible to apply for that status.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

LaSalle5019

My two cents...been in the old car hobby for about 10 years now. Just bought a LaSalle and joined CLC this year at age 56. I would have bought a lifetime membership but can't.  If for no other reason it would eliminate renewals and I am gainfully employed so can afford it today. I'll be retired by age 66 and really doubt I'll pay for a lifetime membership at that time.

If more people join CLC after age 50 than before but I would bet it would benefit the club to drop the 10 year rule as I expect that most 50+ year olds would never get a lifetime membership. If more people join at a younger age then it may make sense to leave the rule.
Scott

gkhashem

If I could clarify what I said above. I would ask at what age do people elect to become a lifetime member and if it is always before age 50, maybe the CLC could make more if they say anyone under 55 must be a 10 year member but over 55 maybe you need to be a  3 year member or less.

That way the member feels some incentive to do it and the CLC makes some more revenue. Let's face it everyone over 55 is not going to make it over 75. That way it may be a neutral move or a gain for the club. So the CLC wins some and some members win some. But I suspect the majority of life members joined when under 50. But who knows for sure without doing some research which I bet the CLC has the data.

You take that list in the directory and come up with the age when the person became a LM. If it's under 50, I suspect the CLC is losing out on making some more revenue. To even cement it more, what is the average age of a new member? Is it over 50, if so you are really restricting the potential LMs.

Now that data may not support that, if so do not do it. You need to always think outside the box. I cannot tell you most people just keep doing and expecting the same results and never change.

So at $750 that represents prepaying for 19 years @ $40 a year (close enough) You need to make the LM choice make sense for people, Yes it is a  money decision. I am sure there are a few wonderful souls who want to donate to the CLC but not many.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

BJM

Quote from: LaSalle5019 on December 23, 2018, 03:55:09 PM
My two cents...been in the old car hobby for about 10 years now. Just bought a LaSalle and joined CLC this year at age 56. I would have bought a lifetime membership but can't.  If for no other reason it would eliminate renewals and I am gainfully employed so can afford it today. I'll be retired by age 66 and really doubt I'll pay for a lifetime membership at that time.

If more people join CLC after age 50 than before but I would bet it would benefit the club to drop the 10 year rule as I expect that most 50+ year olds would never get a lifetime membership. If more people join at a younger age then it may make sense to leave the rule.
Scott

Scott - thank you for your comments here. As Eric noted, this subject should be brought up with the appropriate director but let's hope they are reading.  I read Jason's comments carefully and respect his pride in being a life member. 

I just think it's time to realign the life member status with a different perspective - that it is an opportunity to add revenue and create smoothness in fiscal projections. 

Like Scott and myself (almost 55) there is a baby boomer bubble right now. I do not have statistics at my disposal so any comments are antecdotal BUT I suspect most new members are in their 50's.  I was born in 1964, Scott in 1962ish.  We grew up in an era where Cadillacs were still king and an impressive site cruising down the neighborhood street. 

Pitch me a life membership at $850 or so and I would do it.  The club has wrapped those revenues up and can more easily project future solvency and special projects. This is a club goal - we know this because there is a modest discount for even a 2nd straight year renewal.  It likely gets GN activity out of us, as I understand it judges are in short supply. Volunteering.

Any paying member can also volunteer and judge but life status is likely a plus to get GN staffing. In fact, with a life smembership list, the club could appeal to this group for added GN judging and staffing if they don't already do it. 

Club just may need to rethink this as more than just a loyalty and love membership. As others have noted, we ALL love Cadillacs and the club.  If those who are present life members feel it waters down their "institution" I disagree.  Clubs change, need to change and adapt.   Not sure when the Life Membership rule was instituted but it was likely in an age of robust membership and more than enough flow into the club versus ending of memberships (passing away or non renewal). 

Jason Edge

Just curious, and not expressing an opinion one way or the other (but of course I do have a personal opinion), but what if they opened the doors to Life Membership to everyone and dropped the 10 year membership requirement.  Put the age requirement in or out, but would probably say leave it out as someone could get into the CLC at a very early age and spend 2 or 3 decades and still not be eligible due to the age restriction.

OK... so here is my question. 
If the current lifetime members which is defined as the following in the International Directory:

"Life memberships are available to anyone after 10 consecutive years as a dues-paying CLC member.
All life members will receive the self-starter via First-Class mail and the online version at no extra
charge. Life memberships are $750 for U.S. members,$1,000US for members in all other countries."

were rewritten as follows in say 2019:
Life memberships are available to all CLC members.
All life members will receive the self-starter via First-Class mail and the online version at no extra
charge. Life memberships are $750 for U.S. members,$1,000US for members in all other countries.

This change is adopted and you pick up some new Life Members per new definition which eliminated decade membership criteria. Those such as myself that bought into it as more a "commitment to the club" for serving 10 consecutive years, just suck it up and understand that certificate that states as such, has truly become meaningless, but hey, it is not the end of the world.  OK, so we are all comfy with the new rule. Those that procrastinated, had lapsed membership, or of an age, can be a Life Member immediately (although I would consider it a Life Subscription holding hard to what I bought into back on 2010...I know … I cannot let it go.... but it is what I paid for!)

Now, let's fast forward 5 or 10 years to 2024 or 2029. Of course we see the online subscription trend continuing to grow at a rapid clip and print subscriptions continue to dramatically decline. Also consider the increased cost in production, printing, and postage to send out all these Life members that print copy of the Self-Starter and the International Directory.  Also, consider that printing and shipping the Self-Starter has always been the biggest cost of the club vs the almost non-existent cost of posting online or emailing a digital copy.

But you know in 2024 those young whipper-snappers are going to argue this print thing is costing the club a ton!!
There may be a forward thinking group that says... wait minute... we have just about tapped out the use of this Life Membership as currently defined. No one is paying $750 or $1000 when they can subscribe to almost anything digitally for far less.  So, they put their heads together and say "Let's change the Life Member and drop the fee to say $200 and make it Online only!  Life Members no longer get print copies and we save a ton!  Brilliant! We can go after those millions of Facebookers, Tweeters, and Online Socialites and really make some money for the club.   Yeah, yeah, those 2019 version "Life Members" expected a print copy of the Self-Starter, like those earlier original Lifers thought "Life Member" was an acknowledgement that someone had been in the club for at least a decade... but they will get over it. Things change.

So in 2024 we end up with the new rule:
Life memberships are available to all CLC members.
All life members will receive the self-starter online only. Life memberships are $200.

OK. So how would those of you that paid your $750/$1000 after the 10 year rule was dropped, feel if Life Member was once again redefined as stated? Yeah, It might not be what you signed up for in 2019, but this is for the good of the club. Just Curious. 

I am more or less posting this as food for thought. Of course things change and I am definitely a big proponent of taking initiatives to recruit new members (especially where we can use new technology), but also think we need to consider the implications and impact if we haphazardly start changing things on a whim.  We need to consider the wishes of the approx. 150 Life Members under the existing rule, all CLC members and potential new members.  I am basically just saying let's think things completely through and everything it may impact.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

druby

Jason
It was you who made the comment loud & clear that you would seek a refund if members under the "10 year rule" were allowed to pay the $750.00 or so to become a lifetime member. Your statement to fellow members is telling them that your not even going to consider the thought. I believe it is your job to sit down with other board members with an "open mind" and listen to what members are asking. Your opinion comes across awfully strong to those who are only asking a question. I've been associated with this club many years prior to your arrival and have seen many changes during my time. Example being, many and I mean many people didn't want to have a Modified Class or Chapter, thinking it would be a disgrace to the word CADILLAC. As time passed and the younger generations are taking interest in the old car hobby the board sat down and thought it out and came to the conclusion that the CLC will now except  modified vehicles. I highly doubt that any board member came outright that they would exit the club if it was excepted. My thought to you as a sitting board member is not to let your personal thought get in the way of coming to a conclusion of what other members come to you with suggestions. Your membership in this club is no better than anybody else's, whether your a lifetime member or not. I have committed well over 30 years of my life to this club and will continue to do so and don't receive any "extra perks" than you. I surly don't need a certificate on the wall to tell me what I've contributed over the years, my action speak louder than words..........just a thought !
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jason Edge

OK. I've had two replies and neither answered the question. I am not expressing my opinion but posting the question. What if we change the rule now to drop the 10 year member requirement but 5 or 10 years later it is suggested it is yet changed again to better financially benefit the club and bring in more members.  At that point you lose the print subscription, lifetime fee is drastically decreased and we bring in more money for the club and increase membership.

Keep in mind I am a big proponent for using new technology and continuous improvement, but just trying to get everyone to consider the implications of the change.  I asked a very straight forward questions and instead of an honest answer, got the runaround. 

Honestly, there is no right or wrong answer, but wanted to get the opinion of those wanting to change the rule now to no 10 year requirement, to consider how they would feel if what they are "signing up to" changed in say 5 or 10 years.   I will be honest, and am very appreciative that Life Membership still includes print subscription and feel there may come a day when it may not and perhaps should not … but I am not ready for it now, and suspect those paying $750 now for Lifetime Subscription may not if it is pulled out from under then in say 5 or 10 years.

I have a very open mind, and have no hard feelings but the challenge is there, for those suggesting we eliminated the 10 year rule now, to assess how they would feel if the definition of Life Member changed again in 5 or 10 years, to appease the desires of others that would much rather pay a significantly reduced fee and just be online only.  Whether you like it or agree with it that day is also coming.

Just to add, the suggestion I made about perhaps stepping up and asking for a refund, is based on MY value of my Life Membership recognition with its statement that I met the 10 year requirement. I completely understand that many of you think it is a worthless piece of paper and has no value. Sorry, but that is your valuation and not mine.  I have repeatedly stated that my personal value of being a Life Member, goes way beyond any financial gain I might save in terms of subscription rates.  Many of you are running around trying to figure out how many years you need to live to come out even on this Life Membership thing. I get a great big laugh from that since I feel I was immediately compensated when I remained a member for 10 years and paid my $750.  When I met the 10 year requirement, paid my fee, and received my acknowledgement from the National Office and hung my certificate on my office wall, I was immediately compensated on a personal level. I have never thought one second about how long I need to remain a member to "break even". I do not have a clue when I "broke even" or will "break even" after paying my fee in 2010. Perhaps some of you on this "when will I break even" kick can figure out for me and give me the date so I will know when I can feel I have got my "monies worth" …. if that makes you feel better.  Actually to save anyone the effort, that date is the one thing that truly has no value to me.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

What would everyone think of a tiered Life Member Fee Structure as follows.   This would allow members to use either age or length of membership to their advantage. Those that got in early and have many years with the club would pay less, and those older that will likely cost the club less due to life expectancy would also pay less. Those that want to join at an earlier age or with less years membership can pay an increased rate to compensate for the likely additional cost to the club. This also preserves the original 10 year membership $750/$1000 fee structure but opens it up to many more potential "Life Members" and revenue for the CLC.

Life Member Requirement                                               Cost US/International
under 50 years old or less than 10 years membership       $1000/$1250
50 years old or 10 years membership                              $750/$1000
60 years old or 20 years membership                              $500/$750
70 years old or 30 years membership                              $250/$500
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor