News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 power steering

Started by Lars Kneller 8246, December 16, 2018, 02:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Kneller 8246

My power steering is not working. I replaced the pump with a rebuilt one, and it still doesn't work. Do I assume I need a rebuilt steering box? Thanks!

rajeevx7

That’s all that’s left 8)

So, you have zero assist and have to muscle the steering wheel around? Did you bleed the system after the new pump install; front wheels off the ground and lock to lock?

Lars Kneller 8246

That is correct, and I did not bleed the system, so will do that next, and keep you posted. Thanks.

savemy67

Hello Lars,

Just a point of clarification.  With the front wheels off the ground, you may have to turn the wheels lock to lock 20 to 50 times.  This should be done with the engine OFF.  Once there are no traces of bubbles in the reservoir, lower the car, start the engine, turn the wheels lock to lock a few times (do not hold the wheels in the locked position).  Check for satisfactory operation.

It is possible that the rebuilt pump failed out of the box.  Was your steering working before replacement of the pump?  Hydraulic failure of the steering gearbox would most likely be due to internal seal failure.  Broken parts in the gearbox would be very unlikely, especially if you can steer the car manually.

I rebuilt the pump and steering gearbox on my '67.  If you want to see what I did, see here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.60

Scroll down to reply #76 for the pump rebuild and reply#82 for the gearbox rebuild.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Also check your hoses. Had a clog in my pressure hose. Chased my tail trying to figure it out until I stumbled on the hose (which was brand new) by accident.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille