News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 battery source

Started by B. Como, December 16, 2018, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B. Como

What is the best source for a battery for a 56;coupe Deville?

Tks,
B. Como

53 Eldo
56 CDV
B. Como # 21042

53 eldo
56 cdv

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Are you looking for a period correct looking battery?
If so I can recommend these guys:
https://batterycentralmall.com/

They make replica batteries that have a perfect outside
shell that looks like the original "tar top" but has a sealed
Optima battery inside.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

RICHNICH56

Quote from: B. Como on December 16, 2018, 11:33:58 PM
What is the best source for a battery for a 56;coupe Deville?

Tks,
B. Como

53 Eldo
56 CDV
I just replaced my ‘56 battery with NAPA part no: BAT 7250. Clean look, perfect fit, the price is also affordable for a “driver” if you’re not going for points for a “trailer queen”. Good luck, Rich

J. Gomez

As others stated above if you are looking for a standard non-period correct battery the battery would be the 3EE series. These are advertise for “Commercial vehicles” and available from almost any battery place.

If you are looking for a bit more CCAs the 3ET would be the one same size except it is 1” taller, so the negative braided cable would not fit and you will need to change it.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

walt chomosh #23510

I'm with Jose,I use the NAPA "commercial" battery in my 1955CDV....walt...tulsa,ok

B. Como

Thanks all as the 56 is a dependable driver..
B. Como # 21042

53 eldo
56 cdv

Lexi

As usual Jose is the man and is correct. The 3EE is the one for a non-show car. 3ET for more CCAs but as he said you may have problems connecting the negative battery cable. I think Interstate makes them and they are still used by the military and in industry for electric pallet fork lifts. Sometimes they are listed as "tractor batteries". I don't think the negative cable will fit comfortably if at all when the 3ET is used. There is basically just enough room for the OEM strap to reach over and fit the battery post. Too short a cable. Attached is a picture of a period NOS DC-7 battery from 1959. Has never had acid put in it and is ready to go, should I decide to use it. Yup, a survivor factory battery from the 1950s. I believe this is the replacement battery that GM offered. When your car was new it had a slightly different battery installed. Clay/lexi

carguyblack

I'll also concur with Jose. Another source is Tractor Supply. It is available there as literally a tractor (commercial) battery. I've had mine for years and with proper trickle charging over the winter months. it has remained very strong. It's probably not "correct" but it sure looks the part and after I've done so many practical but "incorrect" things on my car during its restoration, I'm more than happy with the battery.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

B. Como

Found battery at Advance Auto Parts (Car Quest Battery 3EE30) as quite reasonably priced at $129....

Even though lead filled, price still 1/3 of the sealed / Delco knock offs...
B. Como # 21042

53 eldo
56 cdv

signart

Quote from: B. Como on December 17, 2018, 09:29:08 AM
Thanks all as the 56 is a dependable driver..

Very nice looking Cadillac you have there.

I dressed up my Tractor Supply battery with a label I made, copied from an old Delco brochure. Not a lot of cca and they don't store that well, but looked o.k. while it lasted.

Art D. Woody